Diesel - Shell V-Power VS BP Ultimate

Soldato
I've found premium diesel maybe feeling a little smoother in the 535d, but I can't say I've noticed much of a performance difference!

It pulls a little better and the accelerator peddle seems a little more responsive. I don't think it's worth me filling up with it as I don't do much mileage at the moment. For my long trips I will fill up with it and see what kind of mileage I get to a tank.

Associate
as for the economy any reputable branded fuel (ie. shell/bp) will be better to the supermarket petrols. when it comes to difference between branded fuels and premium, the difference is almost negligible, some people would say you essentially paying for the "feel good factor" which is more marketing geared rather than product enhancements per se.

Associate
I cant feel any difference between the Shell and BP performance diesel.
I can feel a difference between performance and standard.
A big difference I see that no one else has mentioned is the distinct lack of sooty black smoke when using performance, a haze yes but no billowing clouds of soot.

Associate
All of the premium diesel is just normal diesel with small amounts of 2 stroke oil added. Was told this buy a shell rep at a shell garage who was filling his shell company van with the oil himself before using normal diesel (something all shell reps are told to do apparently).

This contradicts everything I've read about V-Power Diesel, including official material. It isn't just normal diesel with an additive. It's synthetic - gas to liquid (GTL) 'technology'.

I always used it in my Audi, when I had it. I wasn't really interested in an increase in performance and day-to-day driving changes so much that any change in mpg could not be atributed to the V-Power.

I used it because I believed the adverts about it being 'cleaner' and it cost me less than £10 per fill extra to use it. It was piece of mind for relatively little money. That reminds me - when I had the Audi I asked about a fuel filter change (if it was due one), they asked what fuel I use. If it had been supermarket fuel then they would have recommended it, as it was V-Power, they didn't.

In fact, usage has carried over to my 5008 and I know it doesn't deserve the quality stuff. I just feel happier using it.

Having recently aquired a 1.2 petrol Fiesta the first thing I did was fill it with V-Power; but it had been sat for 18 months. I probably won't use V-Power at the next fill-up, though. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I come from this from a different angle. Not having any modern ecu controlled vehicles.

My Youngest Diesel vehicle is 20 years old with 150,000 miles (My oldest has 300,000! all done by me! :D )

(VW T3 300,000. VWT4 170,000 (My New one) Yota LC80 4.2TD 150,000 (Acquired at 140,000)

IME in all cases BP super gives...

Better cold starting! (Exception!-Cant comment on the LC80, always starts first compression! Can never hear starter motor, Just a sort of "Chew" noise and then she is running!)

Less smoke on cold starting! (Particularly noticeable on the T3, Non BP like this! :eek: On BP like warm! (Near enough! very noticeable difference! (And yes, the neighbours hated me before I switched to BP since I always park my vehicles in the direction they are going to go next! :D))

Less smoke when hoofed! (Particularly noticeable on the LC turbo! Smokes like the Bismark running away on normal diesel, only produces a mild haze on BP! :D)

There is clearly a difference! Just wondering what tweaks I might be able to make to make the best advantage of it!

(It is also noticeable that the Shell equivalent premium diesel does NOT produce similar results!)

Last edited:
Soldato
Filled up my S-Line A4 the other day with BP Ultimate. Have managed to do 2 M3 and an S3 from the lights.

Man it feels quick!

Back
Top Bottom