Difference between Samsung SM-226BW and SM-226CW

Associate
Hi guys im looking for a new monitor and like the look of the samsung 22 inch lcd's but i cant seem to find the differnce between the 2 models on ocuk other than one costs £40 more can some please tell what the differnce is and which one is best please ?

Associate
I've just ordered a 226BW and spent all day yesterday trying to make that decision!

I read this article http://www.behardware.com/articles/667-1/samsung-226bw-a-and-s-series-the-verdict.html and nearly decided against the 226BW, but then again found this one http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/6.htm#samsung_new22 which says the 'panel lottery' is a thing of the past and the differences are very small.

I have felt all along that it is not a good idea to overspend on a 22 inch panel since prices are definitely in 'free fall' at the moment, so I couldn't justify the extra for the 226CW, not to mention the wait.

Man of Honour
the SM226CW uses enhanced CCFL backlighting to offer a wider colour gamut than the SM226BW, and now covers 97% of the NTSC colour space. See the sticky for some more info on gamut :)

mjt

mjt

Soldato
any point getting the SM-2232BW pebble over the SM226BW, apart from the fancy new case? ;p

Associate
I just bought a 226bw and there is no lettering on the back to know or not if its an A,C or S panel. It was manufactured in july 07, which would probably mean im got a lottery one. It's all good, looks ok to me, first ever TFT monitor (Mitsubishi diamond pro 19") prior to this which i had for 5 years.

Just gettin used to this new look now.

Soldato
I just bought a 226bw and there is no lettering on the back to know or not if its an A,C or S panel. It was manufactured in july 07, which would probably mean im got a lottery one. It's all good, looks ok to me, first ever TFT monitor (Mitsubishi diamond pro 19") prior to this which i had for 5 years.

Just gettin used to this new look now.

made in slovakia?

Associate
Have a look at the 223bw it's 21.6" widescreen but here's the juice
it's guaranteed to be an S panel.

I think the lack of response time compensation is a real deal breaker. That's the main selling point of the 226bw after all if you think about it, being the best for gaming. For all of £15 more you can have a Dell 2007wfp which should be better in every other way. If you were going to get a standard 5ms TN panel it would make more sense just to save cash and buy a Cibox/Acer.

Associate
For all of £15 more you can have a Dell 2007wfp which should be better in every other way.

But the Dell is not a 22" screen is it? The difference between a 20 and a 22 when you see them side by side is not trivial.

I went to my local concrete and glass PC store (you know the one) just to see if I could live with a 20. They had lots of screens on an appalling demo running at 1440 x 900! Really showed the quality of the images, not!

I was seriously put of the HP 22". Beatifull looks, great stand, bright image, but those reflections! I couldn't live with fighting to see through that mirror. But then I'm old and don't have the sharp eyes of you game players.

Anyway I wanted the real estate of a 22", even if the 2007wfp has a 'better' panel.

Aren't you guys getting a bit confused?

I thought the BW was the old no-longer-a-guaranteed-S panel, and the CW was the new-shiny-it's-an-S-panel?

I'm interested in the Pebble too... bet it's the surplus BW A/C panels though. :(

Caporegime
But the Dell is not a 22" screen is it? The difference between a 20 and a 22 when you see them side by side is not trivial.

I went to my local concrete and glass PC store (you know the one) just to see if I could live with a 20. They had lots of screens on an appalling demo running at 1440 x 900! Really showed the quality of the images, not!

I was seriously put of the HP 22". Beatifull looks, great stand, bright image, but those reflections! I couldn't live with fighting to see through that mirror. But then I'm old and don't have the sharp eyes of you game players.

Anyway I wanted the real estate of a 22", even if the 2007wfp has a 'better' panel.

20" screens run at 1680 x 1050 so it would not show them off to the best either.

22" is just more real estate though the same res as the 20" screens so with the better panels 20" have better colours and are a lot clearer/crisper.

22" vewing angles are terrible compared to 20" screens although okay if you are going to look straight at them and you are the only person.

As for the HP glossy screen, in store is not the best place to view it. Your home will not have all the lights a store does. I have the NEC glossy and it is great and I have no reflection problems whatsoever. The glossy screen really does enhance colours and blacks.

Back
Top Bottom