different FTP folders for different users

Associate
I've read up on htaccess stuff so am happy to use that, but not sure if it's appropriate for what I need...

On my existing ftp server (not set up by me) there's a general pass to get in. What I want to do is have particular user(s) logging in and only be able to see their own folder further down the file tree to read and write to. What's the best way to do that? is that all in the .htaccess text?

Cheers

Associate
FTP and htaccess are two different things.

Do you mean they all have accounts within your ONE account? Basically sub accounts?

Does each sub account not have its own subdomain? Each FTP account should have its own home directory too. For example...

yourdomain.com/~user1
yourdomain.com/~user2

Associate
OP
hybrid said:
FTP and htaccess are two different things.

Ah, thought so.

hybrid said:
yourdomain.com/~user1
yourdomain.com/~user2

Well at the moment there are files and demo sites hosted in a httpdocs folder in the root; one user (me) with one login to generally use it all. I want to put a folder inside httpdocs (or even lower) that when the new user ftp logs in, it defaults to and they cannot browse higher up the folder tree.

Associate
Depends on your hosting company tbh.

As said, when setting up the FTP account set the home directory to their directory. They then shouldnt be able to browse up using the FTP client.

Soldato
This is certainly doable. You need to chroot users to ther home (Or indeed, any) directory when they log in.

How you do this is dependent on your FTP server software - what are you using?

Associate
OP
Cool, as I said, I didn't set it up and only have experience of jumping via FTP transfer programs. So is there a file or GUI for managing the FTP user access? There's a couple of folders in the root (alongside cgi-bin etc.) that I don't have permission to access so I'll have to ask the guy that did set it up. Cheers anyway.

Back
Top Bottom