Digital Recorders - Recommend me do

Associate
'lo,

I'm looking to spend my Christmas bonus on some lovely under the telly styled goodness, and wondered if you fair people had any particular recommendations when it came to Digital TV Receivers/Recorders?

I've currently got a Samsung LCD with internal digital, but that's not up to much really, and it would be handy to be able to record programs without having to faff around with the video setup...

Cheers

Associate
OP
Sorry - been away.

Not on BT (on Plusnet) - I've heard many good things about Humax PVRs, but then the reviews tend to descend into jargon - I just want something that has a good picture with good recording quality, and a well presented Guide - anything else is a bonus!

Soldato
I've heard many good things about Humax PVRs, but then the reviews tend to descend into jargon - I just want something that has a good picture with good recording quality, and a well presented Guide - anything else is a bonus!
We've got the Humax PVR 9200T and have been very impressed with it
icon14.gif

Soldato
I did a fair amount of research into this before choosing one for my mum. Simply put, the Topfield and Humax's are the best. Topfield if you're willing to spend a bit mroe time on setting it up, and want to tinker with it. Humax if you want to plug-in and go. We went for the Humax 9200 and it's just fantastic. The EPG is well laid-out, it's unbelievably easy to setup recordings (one-offs, repeats, whatever..), and it's got 2 tuners (which cleverly means you can actually record two programs whilst watching another). It really is a great bit of kit and i cant recommend it enough.

Soldato
david thomas, bolton on December 9th, 2005
i've had my 9200 for a week,one thing that bugs me is that after deleting a recorded programme it turns up in the library but when played back it's just a blank screen that seems to be taking up disc space
coconuts, Halifax on December 13th, 2005
I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it had problems so bad it eventually did not switch on. The display gave the message STING which I guess means "self test is not good" because that was the case. I decided for a refund instead of perservering. I have now order the popular alternative Toppy box. I hope that presents itself as a more reliable brand by working without a hitch. I have read other reviews with similar problems on the Humax box PVR9200T.
Kate, London on January 1st, 2006
This PVR is generally easy and intuituve to use and has several very good features but it still has some serious flaws - presumably software related so (I hope) to be fixed in future. Problems we have experienced: Occasional freezing, only resolved by switching on and off with the on/off button (i.e. completely). Failure to save when recording programs from ITV4 - this is an odd one, but very irritating and I note from the forums that this has been experienced by other users.
a few bad experiences do not make for a bad device,still........ no smoke without fire

Soldato
I've a Humax 9200 with the latest software .21 and its virtually foolproof. Updates can be done over the air as well as via pc if not pre-loaded and so far personally, the latest update has been bug free.:)

Back
Top Bottom