[Digitimes] X38 / X48 info

Soldato
Digitimes said:
Board makers will not be required to change any design work of X38-based motherboards since the X38 and X48 chipsets will use the same PCB (printed circuit board), said the sources, noting that the X38 could also support 1600MHz FSB and DDR3-1600 memory after overclocking.
Apparantly this means that X38's will NOT natively support 1600 FSB chips. Whilst that is probably a mute point at the moment I was under the impression that X38 would natively support it and it even has it written in the motherboards specifications on some places... not sure which is correct. Overclockers descripton also lists 1600 FSB but only 1333 FSB in the short description (Support for Intel 45nm Core 2 multi-core processors with FSB 1600 MHz). If that is true, it's a little deceiving.

Digitimes said:
While barely beginning shipments of the X38, however, Intel also plans to launch an upgrade version of the chipset, the X48, by the end of the year with motherboard makers to begin delivering X48 motherboards to shelves in the first quarter of 2008, according to sources close to Intel's roadmap.
So looks like quite a large gap between the X38 and X48. I originally thought that they would be closely following each other but that's practically a 4 to 6 month gap between them so if people are planning on an X38 but heard about the X48 and were debating it, it seems like you are going to have to wait a while to pick one up.

>> Full story <<

Soldato
OP
Penryn may well be the last 775 chip.
Should be, because if the X48 is 1600FSB native then that's I guess a mini-confirmation as it's also a LGA775 chipset :) I did hear some random rumours about Penryn in 1600 FSB also, but who knows.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
With Nehalem hopefully coming sometime later next year they'll maybe release 1600mhz Penryns to boost sales for a couple of months like they have with the 1333mhz Conroes.

Soldato
Where are these X38 boards anyhow? thought they were due out early September!

Either way reckon there gonna be quite pricey and £150+ easily just like there 975 counterparts, think ill wait for the 965 type boards;) under £100 and just good boards:)

Soldato
OP
Where are these X38 boards anyhow? thought they were due out early September!

Either way reckon there gonna be quite pricey and £150+ easily just like there 975 counterparts, think ill wait for the 965 type boards;) under £100 and just good boards:)
That's be the P35 I would have thought :)

Associate
Well OcUK has the Gigabyte X38's ETA down as being tomorrow.

I plan on buying me the X38 or a P35-DS4. Would go for P5K DLX but Sata problems...

Nehoo Nehlam is an 8 core proc, however each core is 2 threads....ie 16threads, that thing is going to tear Maya renders apart :) also running via 32nm. However im guessing memory bandwidth wont be an issue as the Memory controller is on chip but with DDR3, im guessing it will be atleast 1800Mhz. I also suspect this is when Vista 64bit will start to shine.

i know that 64bit isnt benched on threads but memory. However i cant see 2gb powering 16 threads.

Associate
Nehoo Nehlam is an 8 core proc, however each core is 2 threads....ie 16threads, that thing is going to tear Maya renders apart :) also running via 32nm...

Nehalem will be 45nm, and there will be other SKUs other than octo-core, the mainstream will be native quad - dunno about single or dual core efforts.
Looks very sweet though.

Back
Top Bottom