Digitising Composite Video - any recommendations for a composite upscaler and HDMI capture device?

Soldato
Does anybody have any recommendations for a relatively cheap but good quality composite to HDMI upscaler and a separate HDMI (USB3) capture device?

I've been tasked with digitising some old camcorder videos and from what I've discovered you get better results using separate devices. One device for upscaling the composite video (s-video possibly) to HDMI and then capturing the HDMI with a capture device, preferably USB3 or higher.

Budget is around £100 and I don't need any editing software as I already use DaVinci Resolve.

Cheers.

There is no point in recording using composite then using an HDMI upscaler it won't make it look any better.

Capturing analog video and capturing it again with the upscaler will probably just make it look worse, use the camcorder and capture it using a s-video cable and audio cables (if the camcorder as them).

I have used nearly every device you can think of since the late 90s but when Lite-on released the 5045 I started using their machines to record my VHS tapes they just make it much easier to use and messing about with different devices. I am still using a few now the hd-a740gx & hd-a760gx with 2 Panasonic Nv-fs 200 machines. If your search Youtube for Jimmy Smithson you will find many of my VHS recordings shared all over the place and these recordings are good enough for me.

So basically what I am saying is use the camcorder try and find a HD DVD recorder it's much easier, though try and find one of the Lite-on ones because it's easier to take the end results off the hard drive put them onto your PC and you can use resolve to make it look better yourself than using an upscaler.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice @Lord Alibaski but a little too late as I've already ordered some hardware :). The camcorder is a Hi8 with no s-video output so composite is what I'm starting with.

I went down a right rabbit hole with this project. First I saw this video that simplified the capturing and digitising of the video:

Then I looked at various upscalers and capture devices, read reviews and thought I might have to up my budget somewhat for better quality.

Then I stumbled across this video....

Before I knew it I was looking at Time Base Correctors, BlackMagic's Analogue to SDI and UpDownCrossHD mini converters and capture devices from Elgato :cry:. Probably skip the time base corrector though....

Then I gave myself a reality check and kicked scope creep to the kerb!

I settled on two devices:

Upscaler - an average reviewed unit from Tendak for the composite to HDMI conversion/upscaling, £33.
Capture Device - a well reviewed unit from Mirabox for the capturing to PC using the free OBS software, £44.

So for £77 I should have a pretty easy system of digitising the numerous tapes.

However, I'm thinking I should have got the StarTech upscaler that does 720p for £81 instead as that's much better reviewed and used Resolve's Super Scale feature to get to 1080p. Or perhaps StarTech's alternative 1080p version for £144. If the Tendak unit is really crap then I'll go the StarTech route and decide on either hardware or software for further upscaling.

There isn't much to say looks like you already chose before listening to any advice from anyone on here.

You can use composite connection with the Lite-on devices, some have a FireWire connection also something most camcorders have (depending on age). The software you want to buy isn't a dedicated analog capturing software its screen capturing software so again will be limited on what you can do and actual quality, Something free like virtualdub2 would have been better.

The end of the day it is your choice on what you want to buy and how you want to capture them, I was just giving advice on a much easier way when doing it your way won't give you good results there won't be any improvement on picture quality doing that way.

Last edited:
There isn't much to say looks like you already chose before listening to any advice from anyone on here.

You can use composite connection with the Lite-on devices, some have a FireWire connection also something most camcorders have (depending on age). The software you want to buy isn't a dedicated analog capturing software its screen capturing software so again will be limited on what you can do and actual quality, Something free like virtualdub2 would have been better.

The end of the day it is your choice on what you want to buy and how you want to capture them, I was just giving advice on a much easier way when doing it your way won't give you good results there won't be any improvement on picture quality doing that way.

Meow! I did wait while I continued my research but I was beginning to think it was too niche :D.

I looked in to the various devices you mentioned and it's mostly expensive second hand stuff with no guarantee of condition. The free and open source OBS suite is capturing software used by thousands of streamers and gamers but of course that can only capture and return the quality that it's HDMI capture device is given, i.e. from the analogue converter/upscaler. The Tendak converter/upscaler has reasonable reviews but I suspect that's from people upscaling old game consoles that don't have to deal with TBC. I shall see.

This approach seems very simple - Camcorder, composite output --> Tendak converter, HDMI output --> Mirabox capture device, USB3 output --> PC, running OBS. The process seems very easy - Press 'play' on the camcorder and 'capture' on OBS and let the tape run. Process the resulting file in Resolve as required.

I have come across VirtualDub2 and watched a few youtube videos on it - it does look extremely powerful if a little daunting with all it's options and possible configurations. Well worth a play with though.

Thanks for your advice, it is appreciated.

Lol @ meow sorry if it come across as a bit abrupt it wasn't intentional, just thought you would hold out a bit longer.

It may seem easy so does doing it the way I said, its the outcome of it all what should matter and upscaling analog signal is a no go for many reasons but its up to you just don't think the quality is going to look good on a TV screen.

A little abrupt perhaps, no offence taken :).

It'll be interesting to see what results I can achieve and if I need to take a different path. I'll let you know!

There is no point in recording using composite then using an HDMI upscaler it won't make it look any better.

Capturing analog video and capturing it again with the upscaler will probably just make it look worse, use the camcorder and capture it using a s-video cable and audio cables (if the camcorder as them).

I have used nearly every device you can think of since the late 90s but when Lite-on released the 5045 I started using their machines to record my VHS tapes they just make it much easier to use and messing about with different devices. I am still using a few now the hd-a740gx & hd-a760gx with 2 Panasonic Nv-fs 200 machines. If your search Youtube for Jimmy Smithson you will find many of my VHS recordings shared all over the place and these recordings are good enough for me.

So basically what I am saying is use the camcorder try and find a HD DVD recorder it's much easier, though try and find one of the Lite-on ones because it's easier to take the end results off the hard drive put them onto your PC and you can use resolve to make it look better yourself than using an upscaler.
Interesting post not trying to hi jack thread op but Lord Alibaski any particular Liteon recorder you recommend ?
Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom