Dimmable LED bulbs

Soldato
I'm looking to get some Dimmable LED candle bulbs, and am after a little advice if possible.

I've been looking at these specifically. I've read up on this and understand I'm likely to need a new dimmer switch if I don't have one specifically for LED bulbs, however they seem to claim these should work with most, though I understand from what I've been reading I shouldn't hold out much hope on that.

Anyway, I figured I may as well order the bulbs initially and at least see if they work with my dimmer, and if I don't then order a new switch, so here are my questions.

- If they are not compatible with my dimmer switch can I damage them (or anything) in any way, or will they simply not work? Basically, do I have anything to loose by just testing?
- Am I wasting my time trying to use my existing switch and would I be better off just getting one that definitely supports dimmable LED anyway, and if so any suggestions as to a good one?
- If people think the claims are wrong and I'll need a new switch anyway are there any other bulbs people would recommend that they've been happy with, as I was simply going for these because of the hope they'll work with my switch.
- Anyone know much about colour temperature, I want bulbs that are similar to traditional bulbs and not too white, is 2700k good in this respect?

Any advice gratefully received. One final thing to mention is that I've no idea what type of dimmer I currently have as I only bought the house a few weeks ago, but they were using traditional bulbs so I'm guessing its a regular one (thought it doesn't seem very old)

Oh, I've found this which I think answers my final question.

http://www.lumicrest.com/images/color-temp-chart.jpg

** Do Not Hotlink Images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Dimmer isnt expensive, I use and really rate the Varilight ones (programmable to set minimum brightness, avoid a low setting that looks off).
As for bulbs, we tried quite a few.. Cheap ones are nasty, Ended up with Screwfix 5 pack jobs used in halls/loos... Living and dining room we hated the light from the really cheap ones we started with, after reading it was due to the low CRI of the bulbs. Well-Lit sell high CRI (99%) bulbs. We bought the brightest ones (as we can dim them). Its nice having full power available for when you need it (cleaning, DIY, doing craft stuff, building PCs etc)
Bedrooms we went for ones which are like vintage bulbs and have exposed filaments, very red (~2300k) so quite a nice light for a bedroom.

Spend the money once and buy good bulbs imo. The screwfix ones are fine, and the well-lit ones are awesome.

Soldato
OP
Dimmer isnt expensive, I use and really rate the Varilight ones (programmable to set minimum brightness, avoid a low setting that looks off).
As for bulbs, we tried quite a few.. Cheap ones are nasty, Ended up with Screwfix 5 pack jobs used in halls/loos... Living and dining room we hated the light from the really cheap ones we started with, after reading it was due to the low CRI of the bulbs. Well-Lit sell high CRI (99%) bulbs. We bought the brightest ones (as we can dim them). Its nice having full power available for when you need it (cleaning, DIY, doing craft stuff, building PCs etc)
Bedrooms we went for ones which are like vintage bulbs and have exposed filaments, very red (~2300k) so quite a nice light for a bedroom.

Spend the money once and buy good bulbs imo. The screwfix ones are fine, and the well-lit ones are awesome.

Wow, those wel-lit bulbs look amazing! The twisted filament looks so much nicer than the straight filament in the bulbs I've been looking at. However I need to buy 5 of these for the living room and I'm not sure I want to stretch to £17 a bulb, also the one I'd need comes in 2200K and I think that could be a bit to orange. Thanks though, its tempting to splash out, I may do if they had a 2700K version.

I think you're probably right about the dimmer switch, I may as well just get a new one as they're not that expensive. I was trying to avoid replacing it but can't be that hard.

Soldato
I think you're probably right about the dimmer switch, I may as well just get a new one as they're not that expensive. I was trying to avoid replacing it but can't be that hard.

Generally... 2 screws to remove the cover, internally it will have 2 cables and an earth. Earth connects to the pattress box in the wall, and if an earth point is provided on the dimmer also connect to that. Make a note before disconnecting which wire is C and which is L1. Disconnect and connect the same on the new switch.
Simples.
First one will take you maybe 10-20 mins or so (as its all unfamiliar), after that you can replace in minutes.

Remember though, power OFF at the consumer unit BEFORE you do any work.. Wires will be live even if light is off. And make sure you have a torch to hand/do it earlier in the day incase of any headaches (unlikely).

Always worth investing in a no contact voltage detector.. Wave it near a wire (when its on) and it beeps if there is voltage. Test it before switching off the power, then again after.. Last thing you want is to get bitten by the mains, it hurts (lots!) and it can kill.

Soldato
Wow, those wel-lit bulbs look amazing! The twisted filament looks so much nicer than the straight filament in the bulbs I've been looking at. However I need to buy 5 of these for the living room and I'm not sure I want to stretch to £17 a bulb, also the one I'd need comes in 2200K and I think that could be a bit to orange. Thanks though, its tempting to splash out, I may do if they had a 2700K version.

5!!! If you go for the brightest LED bulbs it will be VERY bright!! When we moved into our new place the living room (quite large, 5mx8.5m) has 2 hanging lights, each took 5 bulbs. Was replacing these with single bulb fittings but hadn't got around to it yet so put the screwfix 11w LED bulbs in (75w equiv)... VERY bright, glad we had a dimmer for the few weeks till I got around to replacing the fittings.

Thanks samcat :)

No problem. As DIY jobs go its probably a difficulty 2 out of 10. Just be careful with the power.. Switch lights ON, turn power OFF... If the lights dont go off then you KNOW it isnt safe to work as consumer unit is mislabelled (or light wired to wrong circuit. If lights come back on then someone has turned them on/trying to kill you.

:)

Soldato
OP
5!!! If you go for the brightest LED bulbs it will be VERY bright!! When we moved into our new place the living room (quite large, 5mx8.5m) has 2 hanging lights, each took 5 bulbs. Was replacing these with single bulb fittings but hadn't got around to it yet so put the screwfix 11w LED bulbs in (75w equiv)... VERY bright, glad we had a dimmer for the few weeks till I got around to replacing the fittings.

Yeah 5 is rather excessive isn't it. In my last house I had one that took 3 bulbs and always left one of the bulbs dead, but I think it looks nice to have them all working. I figured as I'm using a dimmer its not such an issue as I can just turn it down to something suitable, I was also looking for less powerful bulbs but most the size I wasnt seem to be 40W equivalents. In theory I could replace the light fitting but I really like it and I think it suits the room well.

Soldato
Yeah 5 is rather excessive isn't it. In my last house I had one that took 3 bulbs and always left one of the bulbs dead, but I think it looks nice to have them all working. I figured as I'm using a dimmer its not such an issue as I can just turn it down to something suitable, I was also looking for less powerful bulbs but most the size I wasnt seem to be 40W equivalents. In theory I could replace the light fitting but I really like it and I think it suits the room well.

I'm like you I'd always rather have too much light and a dimmer switch than not enough it's great when your cleaning or painting to be able to whack the power up!

Soldato

Well your logic is sound, if the fitting suits the room then keep it, stick 5 bulbs in and a good dimmer.

Soldato
Do you find the dimmable preserve their colour frequency when they are dimmed though ?
I have typically avoided dimmable in preference to multiple lights in the living room and turn on the main light or others.

(per led thread) For B22/E27 hi cri , I use/recommend hi-cri hyperikon non-dimmable from Amazon only ~£3-4

Soldato
OP
if your buying dimmable go with phillips - ebay is great for prices on genuine ones.

non dimmable - whatever is cheapest at screwfix.

I'm a bit put off by Phillips as most of them seem to have a thin grey sleeve around the bottom with the Phillips logo. Are there any other quality brands to consider?

Caporegime
I'm a bit put off by Phillips as most of them seem to have a thin grey sleeve around the bottom with the Phillips logo. Are there any other quality brands to consider?

Not really. Phillips appear to be the major players. You must have heard of Phillips hue?

I wouldn't touch any other brand for dimmable.

When it comes to normal LEDs I just go with cheapest on screwfix. For dimmable you definitely want a quality product

Soldato
OP
Not really. Phillips appear to be the major players. You must have heard of Phillips hue?

I wouldn't touch any other brand for dimmable.

When it comes to normal LEDs I just go with cheapest on screwfix. For dimmable you definitely want a quality product

Oh yeah, I get that they are a quality brand and I would happily use them in various other locations, but with this light fitting apearance is impotrtant and I want them to look as much like the old style incandecent bulbs as possible. So has to be the filament type and even those seem to have a thick band around the bottom with Phillips. On the subject of CRI mentioned above, Phillips just say over 80, which isn't better than a lot of others. I understand they're a good brand, I just figured there may be a few others. Ideally I'd probably go with well-lit, but thats a lot of money and not sure I want the very warm 2200K.

Soldato
Below 4K I am not sure what the benefit of hi-cri is, as you approach daylight colour you know what the colour should be (when you turn the light on it is indistibguishable from daylight) but at lower temperatures where light is redish, can you really distinguish it. you want matching between bulbs (can't remember technical term) but otherwise is it worth it. ?
Hi- cri, especially in kitchen, you turn on light at dusk and it just blends with outside light.

edit fyi cri for hue :(
I have seen a teardown of a LIFX bulb and it uses a RGBW emitter approach. The Philips Hue uses a completely different combination of emitters: amber, phosphor-converted lime, and blue.
The RGBW approach used in the LIFX bulb gives it an average CRI of 88-89, peaking at over 92 between 3100-3400K, according to a comment from a representative of the company which was posted on Amazon.
The specs for the Philips Hue bulb says it has a CRI above 80 between 2000-4000K, and it has a CRI of 91 at 2700K. This might not sound as good in terms of CRI, but the choice of emitters does allow the light to have better color rendering when the bulb is strongly color-tinted (which is the whole reason people buy a color tunable bulb in the first place). That LIFX bulb is going to make the surroundings in your room look pretty monochromatic if it is set to a yellowish-green lime color, or is set to a heavy pink rose tint. Most people do not stop to think about what the color rendering is going to be like in off-white color mode.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
don't know whether you noticed but those are efficient 4W = 400Lumens

Thanks, not sure how worried I am at these sort of figures as its all much more efficient than what I'm replacing, but I guess it all helps and its nice that they're very efficient.

After looking at lots of other brands I went with the ones I was originally looking at in the end, along with a Varilight V-Pro dimmer. Once they arrive and are fitted I'll post again, just in case anyone is interested as to how I find them.

Back
Top Bottom