Diplomatic Immunity

Associate
So I haven't seen a thread for this already but I feel this is completely wrong and shouldn't be allowed.

The story so far that a US diplomats wife pulled out of a RAF base on the wrong side of the road killing a 19 year old motorcyclist and then left the country under diplomatic immunity. The parents of the lad that has been killed must be totally destroyed by this, lost their son and at the moment the law is unable to do anything to the person who has got off scot free currently.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion...munity-right-should-protected-used-properly2/

Not sure if pressure will be applied and the wife will be forced to come out of hiding so to speak and admit to what she did. I mean really prison sentence should be applied but I doubt that person will ever have the guts to come back and just hide in the US forever more.

Associate
OP
she wont be coming back...and we have nothing that we can do as we want to cosy up to america so have no stick to beat them wiht

This was my worry, that the government basically make a statement saying its bad and do nothing. I wonder if this would have been treated differently if it was a celeb or MP that was killed. But as its just some lad...…. don't worry about it nothing to see here *facepalm

Associate
OP
Don't think anyone thinks diplomatic immunity is stupid what we think is that you shouldn't be allowed to kill someone whether it be by mistake in something completely unrelated to the reason you are in the country under diplomatic immunity then run away using that diplomatic immunity as a get out of jail free card.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If the situation were reversed then Trump and the American people would be screaming for us to waive diplomatic immunity as they did in 1997 when a senior Georgian diplomat killed a young girl in Washington.
https://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/11/us/georgia-prepared-to-waive-immunity-of-a-top-diplomat.html

I find it disturbing that our government are not being more vocal about this situation but I suppose we have always kowtowed to the American bully.

Interesting link, I wonder if the US will see what we are asking isn't that different.

Associate
OP
Trump has stated even he has driven on the wrong side of the road in the UK by mistake.... Oh as Trump has done it that's ok then. But thoughts and Prays to the family from him.

Associate
OP
He didn't say it was ok, try and control your derangement syndrome. He said he's going to try and arrange a meeting.

Never said he said that. I said because he's done it so its ok then. Not sure insults are called for based on my comment to be honest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom