Diplomatic Immunity

Associate
So I haven't seen a thread for this already but I feel this is completely wrong and shouldn't be allowed.

The story so far that a US diplomats wife pulled out of a RAF base on the wrong side of the road killing a 19 year old motorcyclist and then left the country under diplomatic immunity. The parents of the lad that has been killed must be totally destroyed by this, lost their son and at the moment the law is unable to do anything to the person who has got off scot free currently.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion...munity-right-should-protected-used-properly2/

Not sure if pressure will be applied and the wife will be forced to come out of hiding so to speak and admit to what she did. I mean really prison sentence should be applied but I doubt that person will ever have the guts to come back and just hide in the US forever more.

Soldato
Diplomatic immunity has its place, this is not a valid use. Beggars belief that there are no standards by which these people, and the use of DI should be measured. Shame on the US. Probably being told to keep their heads down until it blows over.

Soldato
Diplomatic immunity doesnt get you off in incidents like this. That isnt what its for.

She might be able to hide in the US, but they might ship her back. If she flies anywhere she risks being picked up if the country has an agreement with the UK.

Associate
OP
she wont be coming back...and we have nothing that we can do as we want to cosy up to america so have no stick to beat them wiht

This was my worry, that the government basically make a statement saying its bad and do nothing. I wonder if this would have been treated differently if it was a celeb or MP that was killed. But as its just some lad...…. don't worry about it nothing to see here *facepalm

Caporegime
There's no reason why a future UK-US trade deal can't have a reciprocal extradition treaty if we're ever independent enough to negotiate our own deals.

Soldato
In this thread: People who haven't taken the time to research the purpose of Diplomatic immunity so think it's stupid and shouldn't be a thing

Associate
OP
Don't think anyone thinks diplomatic immunity is stupid what we think is that you shouldn't be allowed to kill someone whether it be by mistake in something completely unrelated to the reason you are in the country under diplomatic immunity then run away using that diplomatic immunity as a get out of jail free card.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Diplomatic immunity is designed to protect diplomats and their families from being stitched up with trumped-up charges during regime change or sudden political turmoil.

This isn't a stitch up, so maybe there should be oversight from a neutral party who gets to rule on whether diplomatic immunity should still apply. Like a U.N body or something

Soldato
There's no reason why a future UK-US trade deal can't have a reciprocal extradition treaty if we're ever independent enough to negotiate our own deals.

What has trade deals got to do with extradition? And what has our level of independence to negotiate trade deals got to do with extradition?

Especially since we have already negotiated our own US-UK extradition treaty in 2003, you know, because we are a Sovereign nation.

Soldato
Diplomatic immunity doesnt get you off in incidents like this. That isnt what its for.

She might be able to hide in the US, but they might ship her back. If she flies anywhere she risks being picked up if the country has an agreement with the UK.
Don't we have an extradition agreement w/ the US?
Thing is, I think the DI issue is being used to blow up a story that otherwise would have little or no legs. She slipped up, no different to a lapse of concentration and pulling out a junction etc, I've known people who have killed for much the same thing and it never amounted much more than a driving ban etc. I suppose the family could try legal proceedings for compensation or whatever, but i'm not sure how far they'd get. People seem to be getting wound up by her leaving the country, as far as I can tell even if she'd stayed it would make little difference to the legal outcome.

Caporegime
Always makes me think of Lethal Weapon 2...
A guy* at school went to see this at the cinema and took photos (using a camera) of the part in the film where Patsy Kensit had her fried eggs on display. Also, when she drowns, which was a bit weird thinking about it. Chap became a bit of a pre-internet and pre-mobile phone legend by getting the photos processed at Boots and shared them with his friends, including me, at school.

*not me

Man of Honour
Don't we have an extradition agreement w/ the US?
Thing is, I think the DI issue is being used to blow up a story that otherwise would have little or no legs. She slipped up, no different to a lapse of concentration and pulling out a junction etc, I've known people who have killed for much the same thing and it never amounted much more than a driving ban etc. I suppose the family could try legal proceedings for compensation or whatever, but i'm not sure how far they'd get. People seem to be getting wound up by her leaving the country, as far as I can tell even if she'd stayed it would make little difference to the legal outcome.
The outcome isn't the point though, even the family have said that. It's the fact that she should face the justice system and allow them to decide.

Soldato
A guy* at school went to see this at the cinema and took photos (using a camera) of the part in the film where Patsy Kensit had her fried eggs on display. Also, when she drowns, which was a bit weird thinking about it. Chap became a bit of a pre-internet and pre-mobile phone legend by getting the photos processed at Boots and shared them with his friends, including me, at school.

*not me

A true legend :) Kids of today have it far too easy lol

Back
Top Bottom