Direct Access - VirginMedia

Associate
I've setup direct access with forced tunneling at work. Everything is working well, but the very latest Hub 3's from virgin media block it completely. Put it in modem mode and it works fine. So I've suggested that our users either move ISP (obviously not always possible - contracts etc.) or should be buying a new wi-fi router and using modem mode on the freely supplied Virgin Hub 3.

There's some contention as to whether the business should provide the new routers or the staff.

Firstly, does anyone have the same issue? If so what have you done? Secondly, do you think its fair that users should be buying equipment so they can do work from home, or would you take the hit to obtain the ability to work from home?

Associate
OP
I would expect to pay for my own equipment to work from home, in the same way I am expected to pay for my mode of transport to get to work. Also if you start supplying equipment every time there is an issue with the internet or the network, extending to other peripherals your IT department will be the first point of contact to fix home issues because you paid for equipment in their house.

Exactly my thoughts.

If your users are expected to work from home often then the business should be providing the equipment/connection to allow them to do there job properly. Just dont allow them to use it for personal use.

back to your DA issue, if they just browse to your da server address does it display anything? the ssl cert should be presented at the least.

I dont think we'll be installing new internet connections for our users, we certainly dont have the funds for that :(

I'll have another look tonight when i get back to see what I can get to.

What IPv6 transition technology are you using (IP-HTTPS, Teredo, 6to4) for DirectAccess? IP-HTTPS should be the most reliable for home internet connections, but there may be an issue with the force-tunnelling if Virgin are doing something strange with web proxy.

It's IP-HTTPS, I've tried it with force tunneling on and off, same result. Works fine with every other router we have tried :(

Back
Top Bottom