• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DirectX 12 comes to Windows 7, nine months from retirement...

Soldato
For those who despise Win10 - it's worth giving Win Server 2016 ago, it runs most of the Win10 software, has DirectX, and you don't get Cortana or any of the other crap.

180 day eval licences are free from MS

Soldato
I’m amazed anyone still uses Win 7, unless some legacy software dictates the need.

Some people just can’t let go. :)

Got 3 old(ish) Panasonic Toughbooks at work, all run W7 for diagnostic software. I did try W10 on one of them but it was a nightmare and reverted back to W7. W7 still has a place in specific use cases, just like XP still does. I let W7 go a long time ago for personal use though.

Associate
Windows 10 does have a lot of nice new features, but at the same time a lot of steps back were taken; telemetry, bloatware, tiled start menu seemingly intended for mobile devices without regard to desktops and no Aero transparencies or nice new theme.

Wait... I've got it. Windows 7 doesn't have a native dark theme.

Man of Honour
Wait... I've got it. Windows 7 doesn't have a native dark theme.

It is like 2 clicks and you have a dark theme in Windows 7 even without an official "dark" theme :s

While 7 can look a bit dated in some aspects (overly bevelled, overly "3D") I really miss aero glass on 10 and the overall more pleasing aesthetic especially a lot of the icons on 10 wouldn't look out of place on something like OS2 (yeah that 1987 OS).

Caporegime
Microsoft Opens DirectX 12 Support For Windows 7 To Developers

Back in March Microsoft DirectX 12 suitable for Windows 7 with World Of Warcraft. This initiative ever since has been respected by many but left others confused as to why there is no full DX12 support otherwise? Well as it seems, hell froze over.

In order to get support over towards game developers, the Microsoft team has published a number of files with which they can run their DirectX 12 games on Windows 7.

-- Microsoft --

We announced “World of Warcraft uses DirectX 12 running on Windows 7” back in March. Since that time, we have received warm welcome from the gaming community, and we continued to work with several game studios to further evaluate this work.

To better support game developers at larger scales, we are publishing the following resources to allow game developers to run their DirectX 12 games on Windows 7. Please post technical question or feedback to our Discord channel at http://discord.gg/directx.

We would like to thank the development community for their help in evolving the DirectX 12 technology, and we have been so excited to work with game developers to bring the benefits of DirectX 12 to all their customers. Please keep the feedback coming!

https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/m...x_12_support_for_windows_7_to_developers.html

:p

G J

G J

Associate
I remember all the mass arguments on the Internet as to why DX12 couldnt come to Windows 7 and that people where idiots and just upgrade to Windows 10.

Look how things have turned out, Microsoft could do it but they just refused to do it.

Man of Honour
Look how things have turned out, Microsoft could do it but they just refused to do it.

And we might have had games pushing proper DX12 features by now... albeit probably not as DX12/Vulkan are a bit of a misunderstanding of what developers really want.

Soldato
For those who despise Win10 - it's worth giving Win Server 2016 ago, it runs most of the Win10 software, has DirectX, and you don't get Cortana or any of the other crap.

180 day eval licences are free from MS

Server 2019 seems to be stuffed with crap though and like windows 10's default setup, constantly wants to contact the internet. Without it the start menu etc is really slow :/

Last edited:
Soldato
I have to admit i’m struggling to understand their motives when they’re being so regimented about end of support next year. Why open the API when the OS has six months left? Weird.

Soldato
I suspect like XP, win7 will get extended EOL.

Win 7 will probably either last longer than 8.1 or be same time I expect.

8.1 has been thrown to the scrap by MS.

Soldato
so dx12 to win 7 but not to the newer win 8.1?

that is so bizarre and all I can think off is that because blizzard has a lot of players on win7 they gave microsoft a bucket full of cash to port it over.

port it over? it was probably just a case of adding the windows 7 build number to the list of OS's it would run on in the code,

Back
Top Bottom