Disable AGPS?

Associate
First off, sorry for previous thread, I forgot to read the rules on this section :rolleyes:

Ok, is there any way to disable the AGPS and switch it to GPS? I don't want to get charged for the triangulation whenever I want to use this feature as I guess the cost will total after a while, I haven't found any option on the phone but a post I read elsewhere implied that it was something that had to be enabled in the app, so is there an app on the appstore (preferably free) that can allow me to use GPS, and also is there any apps (like MGMaps) that will allow me to store my own maps on the phone rather than having them streamed?

Commissario
There is no charge for triangulation :confused:
The phone uses triangulation from nearby cell towers to get an approximate position and then uses the GPS to narrow that down. Hence Assisted GPS (AGPS)

Associate
OP
I never understood why they charged for it (after all its something they do for free to allow you to get the strongest signal) however it does cost, checking my balance after using the feature cost me 70p, maybe not much but a charge I'd still rather avoid by disabling a feature.

Commissario
I don't understand, it's not a chargeable feature. All iPhone 3G/3GS use AGPS in the way I've described in that the GPS is assisted by cell triangulation. Every time any iPhone works out where it is, it uses AGPS. If this were a hidden charge then subscribers would be up in arms. I use location services every single day and have never had any kind of charge like this.

What exactly does your bill show? Screenshot it (hiding any personal details).

Associate
AGPS always uses the data connection. It's only like a few KBs mind you...

To quote Wikipedia Feek:

A typical A-GPS-enabled cell phone will use a data connection (internet, or other) to contact the assistance server for A-GPS information. If it also has functioning autonomous or standalone GPS, it may use standard GPS, which is sometimes slower on Time To First Fix, but does not depend on the network, thus can work beyond network range and need not pay fees for data traffic.[3] Some A-GPS devices do not have the option of falling back to standalone or autonomous GPS.

It has nothing to do with cell tower triangulation, which is entirely different.

Last edited:
Commissario
Hmm, I always thought that it would look at the towers nearby and try and do a rough calculation for distance from it using signal strength and do the same thing from all nearby towers. I shall read further and educate myself :)

Either way though, I still don't understand why there's a charge when the iPhone plans include data. Unless of course you're using an unlocked phone on a network where you have to pay for data. In which case, it's your tough luck, your own fault and I have little sympathy.

Back
Top Bottom