Disabling DCHP on Sky when using Google WiFi?

Soldato
I recently bought a Google WiFi system as the powerline adapters I was using were very unreliable.

My setup is Sky Hub (non-Q) -> Google WiFI (via ethernet)

Nothing else is hardwired to the Sky Hub, everything is connected to the Google WiFi via WiFi. However, I'm struggling with my Sonos randomly losing connection to the internet and the advice I've read online is to disable DCHP on the Sky router.

I did this but I lost all connections to the internet as I assume, the Google WiFi wasn't getting an IP address from the Sky Hub any longer.

I'm not great with networking so can anyone point me in the right direction? I assume I have to manually assign an IP address to the Google WiFi before disabling DCHP on the Sky Hub. I'm not entirely sure how to do this though.

Caporegime
So this would only work if you used address reservation on the sky hub, then disabled DHCP. But you’d then need to add any new devices to the address reservation list otherwise they won’t get an IP address and therefore won’t connect.

What would probably be better is disable the WiFi on the sky hub and let the google WiFi do all of that side. The hub still assigns IP addresses but doesn’t do any of the WiFi side.

Soldato
OP
So this would only work if you used address reservation on the sky hub, then disabled DHCP. But you’d then need to add any new devices to the address reservation list otherwise they won’t get an IP address and therefore won’t connect.

What would probably be better is disable the WiFi on the sky hub and let the google WiFi do all of that side. The hub still assigns IP addresses but doesn’t do any of the WiFi side.

Thanks for the help. I'm currently running the way you mention in your last point, I've disabled both the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz radios on the Sky Hub but I'm having issues with the Sonos. It's very strange as it worked when I originally changed the Sonos to connect to the Google WiFi but didn't work this morning.

Back
Top Bottom