Disabling Windows Update - 1709

Associate
Hi, I see others have problems on their Surface Pro, but i have an issue on my desktop that ive spent many many hours trying to solve and - well, still not confirmed if solved. Your experience and advice welcomed, but here is my two cents also for anyone also suffering.

The problem:
Windows Update 1709 downloads fine but cant finish installation. Resets back to previous update version after 45 minute reboot cycle.
I then have INFURIATING cycle of delaying the update, setting time for update, pop ups DURING GAMEPLAY asking if i want to restart now! Its the modern age of digital intrusion people. What a time to be alive.

The solution:
Various guides explain methods for preventing the update. But none have worked so far.

My Question:
Has anyone successfully prevented Windows update on their desktop? I mean, no more broken restart loops, no more pop ups, no more scheduling a time that 'suits me'? (ffs Microsoft!)

Note:
1) I have gone into the Services list and stopped 'Windows Update' running, also selected 'disabled' from starting at boot in the properties menu. But guess what, it just starts up anyway on the next boot.
2) I recently uninstalled any software that may have had old drivers/not approved by windows 10 that may have been preventing the installation (Foobar2000, VLC player) but still no joy.
3) I also deleted the update folder from the Windows C: drive - cant remember the name but it was ~7 gig file size.
4) I also set my net connection as a metered connection, even though I'm on a LAN and it probably wont apply.
5) I 'uninstalled' the 1709 update using from the action center, which lead the PC to blue screen on boot. i had to Reinstall windows to get past that one... That was the most shocking fail of all, as this was an option provided by Microsoft in the bloody windows update action center.

I'm told one of those five methods above has solved the problem for many people, but not for me. Please let me know what I may be missing, or if you are also suffering this fate so I'm not alone!

rig in my sig.

Associate
Windows Update 1709 downloads fine but cant finish installation. Resets back to previous update version after 45 minute reboot cycle.
Figure out why this is happening. Look in the Windows Event Viewer for any errors related to the update failing to apply, then either post them back here or search for them on Google, and go from there.

Disabling Windows update is just stupid.

Man of Honour
Disabling Windows update is just stupid.

Not having manual control over Windows update is incredibly dumb and stupid.

I'm told one of those five methods above has solved the problem for many people, but not for me. Please let me know what I may be missing, or if you are also suffering this fate so I'm not alone!

Apparently (haven't confirmed it for myself) with 1703 or so they've made it so if you've not updated in awhile Windows will force restart the Windows update services and if that fails start the upgrade advisor.

Man of Honour
The one that has worked for me with 170x problems has been using disk cleanup with the admin option to remove "previous operating system files".

170x seems to have a lot of update issues - neither of my tablets updated seamlessly.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses guys, ill give a few a go and let you know if any work

Im happy to use Windows Update, but not if its clearly a broken process that could potentially brick my pc.

Associate
I just purchased/pre-ordered a laptop with I7-8750H and will have no way in hell to revert to Win 7.

I now wish I went for the https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comp...00-17-3-gaming-laptop-black-10146251-pdt.html instead but it is rather old tech and I think we will end up having to upgrade to Win 10 in the end anyhow. Not sure that there is any way to get around that. No more drivers, games or anything for Win 7 I assume. Will keep my Desktops on Win7 for as long as I can.

So my choice was between: LENOVO IdeaPad Y900 VS MSI GP73 Leopard 8RE VS MSI GE73 7RD

I seriously hate Win 10 with passion, my first experience with it on my missus machine was spending two days sorting out all the bloatware, blocking all privacy options then after a few days it decides to do an update and now when I log into Windows, it takes 5 minutes (timed) to show the desktop (icons, task bars etc), however whilst waiting for 5 minutes I can start task manager then get to the C: drive and start programs I need. Safe mode works fine.

Man of Honour
Yeah all my machines I actually want to use are on 7. Unfortunately I've a couple of tablets that Windows 7 drivers simply don't exist for and 8 is hit and miss so I've no choice but to use 10 that came with them - if it wasn't for my usage I'd stick Linux on them in a heartbeat as they are supported by Ubuntu but unfortunately not an option for what I use them for.

Associate
I believe that we can still have Win 7 on new CPUs by using the patch provided by Zeffy. I think the question is more around compatible drivers, unless you can manually apply them.

Frankly the whole Win 10 is a mystery to me. Been keeping away from it since I saw it.

I am debating if I should just cancel my order and get the i7-6820HK machine, saving £300 in the process too:) Performance wise I think they are pretty close.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...d-120hz-i7-8750h-gaming-laptop-lt-278-ms.html

VS

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comp...00-17-3-gaming-laptop-black-10146251-pdt.html

Associate
OP
Well, it could only last so long.

I went a good month without any windows update downloads or restart requests "set a time to restart but we'll ask you again anyway before that date..." But now its all back again, threatening to put my machine into a boot loop again.

As i mentioned earlier and promised to check back in here, last month I deleted the contents of the Windows 'SoftwareDistribution" folder, disabled the Window Update service and also set my connection to metered (i use a wired LAN) and it worked for a month. Windows tried downloading a few gigs of the update but stopped due to the metered connection thing. But, it must have trickled that update over a few weeks behind my back. Windows, you diabolical...

so now, ive lost the ability to select 'restart' from the power menu, i can only 'update and restart', which is no good. So, I've uninstalled the latest updates (which, strangely, was still 1709, not the newest one, can i skip an update???) and deleted that distribution folder again. Last time i did this when it was at the restart to update stage I got an unsurpassable blue screen on boot and had to reset windows or some option like that, loosing all my 3rd party programs in the process. I made a system restore point that I hope works instead of that more heavy handed method.

I wish i could use linux instead of this BS. but hey, Linux is like a house without heating or plumming.

To think i paid 80 clams for a genuine windows 8 a few years ago... shame on me.

Deep breath. click shutdown. hope it boots up normally.

Man of Honour
Supposedly either 1703 or 1709 they added a "hard coded" routine to check if Windows update hadn't been run for awhile (I think 30 days) which forces the services back on and if that fails launches the upgrade assistant.

One of my tablets seems to periodically forget it is on the latest update and I get a modal dialogue right up infront of anything I'm doing telling me an important update is available and asking what I want to do then downloads it all all over again anyway.

What I really think of MS and anyone who works for them right now would get me perma-banned heh.

Back
Top Bottom