Disappointing 3090 FE performance - any ideas

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
My rig now comprises of a 3090FE with the posh ek waterblock, a 5800x3d processor, asus crosshair x570 mb, 360 and 240 rads and a single loop, with Corsair SF750 PS.

Decent kit, but i'm not getting the performance I think I should get and certainly not what's being posted here and there. The x570 is a bit of a waste, as the 5800 doesn't seem to like being pushed.

The 3090 maxes out at around 73 degrees c under load, but I don't seem to be able to push beyond 100 and 250 via MSI afterburner. I get a combined score of 16500 on 3dmark, though I've seen higher. I feel something else is throttling the 3090 , but don't know where to start.

any ideas ?

cheers

Associate
Something doesn't sound right. For comparison this is my score with stock everything, the GPU is on air, max temp 65C (it's a massive case), the 5800X had a max temp 69C, on a 420mm AIO.

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
OP
Thanks for the speedy reply. Reading through various threads I'm wondering about whether the VRAM temps are the issue. I also wonder whether the fact i'm watercooling the GPU makes a difference.

here's my 3dm link

Man of Honour
Your memory is a problem if it is only running at 2660mhz. If you have fast ram then you probably need to enable the XMP profile. If you only have 2666mhz memory then that will cripple your set up as most modern cpu's (Ryzen especially) perform much better with fast ram. A speed of 3200mhz should be seen as the minimum these days although faster is better as long as the timings can be kept reasonable.

Watercooling does not equal better overclocks anymore as most components are already very close to their limits straight from the factory. The best thing you can hope for with watercooling now is cooler running meaning quieter fans.

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
OP
many thanks. Actually I have Crucial 3600 memory. Asus doesn't support XMP, but calls it DO?? I'll re-enable that and see if it makes any difference.

Associate
Can you screen shot /post the page that shows all the temps and clock speeds at the end of the run?

As you mentioned perhaps monitor the GPUs junction temperature during the run?

Soldato
Your temp of over 71 degrees sounds very hot tbh with a custom loop that looks decent size. I will do a run with EK block later, but cannot recall getting that warm at all (with caveat all loops are different). Do you have a water temp sensor at all?

Another thing with 3D mark timspy, it really does smash the GPU in terms of power. Compared to other 3090's the FE is relatively power limited at 400w so you will be sitting at power limit bouncing around in terms of clock speed. You will find a undervolt but upping power limit may help performance wise and step back from smashing into power limit where clocks can dip up and down.

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
OP
I've various temp sensors measuring the outside of the tubing. Coolant is running at 25 C. peak power for the whole rig was around 500w with the 3090 drawing 400w peak. I've just posted this with +500Mhz on the clock and 95mhz on the Core. https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/76029195

annoyingly I'm sure when I first fitted the 5800x3d I got a much better score. it's been downhill since then.

Soldato
I've various temp sensors measuring the outside of the tubing. Coolant is running at 25 C. peak power for the whole rig was around 500w with the 3090 drawing 400w peak. I've just posted this with +500Mhz on the clock and 95mhz on the Core. https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/76029195

annoyingly I'm sure when I first fitted the 5800x3d I got a much better score. it's been downhill since then.

Something wrong with your GPU mount in that case as thats a massive delta temp, though may not be accurate if your measuring the outside of the tube rather then inline sensor. My water temp is similar about 28 or so degrees and topping out around 47 - 50 or so degrees. Your nearly a 50 degree delta temp to your core from your water (based on outside tube temp)

Here is a stock run of a 3090FE of mine https://www.3dmark.com/spy/28605965

20 431 on GPU score.

One thing here, less is more. the 3090FE is already power limited even at 400w. You will notice in stock run you will hit the 400w easy and bounce around in clock speed. Hitting it with an even harder overclock when there is no more power makes things worse with the 3090FE in 3D mark. I would run it baseline first. Then move on to undervolting + overclocking. More voltage means using more power. Undervolting brings that in and you can then use the headroom to actually overclock.

For example my stock score above of 20826 uses about 1v at stock and hits about 1965mhz on memory but fluctuates as its using 400w. However I do a second quick and dirty undervolt on core run of 0.9v and the card actually sits happy at 1980Mhz and uses about 350w-360w and gains me performance as its not even smashing the power limit of 400w all the time, at same time up to 20 826 for less power and not even touching the memory.

So yeah, look into your loop temp, something not right there tbh with such massive delta temps. Many check pump flow if its too low. Then try undervolt / overclock or even running stock. The card is already power limited in timespy and when you hit the power limit the clock speeds fluctuate pretty bad. Finally check you have not got forced G-sync or V-sync or something on IMO.

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
OP
many thanks for the comprehensive reply. I did indeed have v-sync set but not g-sync. that's got me to 18590 on the GPU and 11375 on the cpu, albeit with MSI boosting. I've not undervolted yet, but was reading up on it yesterday. i'll also fit a temp probe inside the loop, but I do recall a big different before when the GPU was under stress. At rest the GPU is running at 23c.

Soldato
many thanks for the comprehensive reply. I did indeed have v-sync set but not g-sync. that's got me to 18590 on the GPU and 11375 on the cpu, albeit with MSI boosting. I've not undervolted yet, but was reading up on it yesterday. i'll also fit a temp probe inside the loop, but I do recall a big different before when the GPU was under stress. At rest the GPU is running at 23c.

Yeah if your GPU temp is 23 degrees at idle would usually mean your water temp is close / slightly under that. Just sounds like under load the delta seems too high on the core to me at high 60's / above 70 degrees if I expect the water temp is likely mid 20's then increasing up to low 30's. Suggests the water temp is okay, just heat under load not efficiently getting from block to water when its under load. As I say could be worthwhile upping the pump speed but also mounting of block. May need pulling apart and checking thermal paste / pads if the flow is sufficient imo.

But yeah defo check out undervolting when you can after the temp aspect.

Best of luck.

Soldato
your gpu temps are way too high for that setup, your hotspot is off too.

In general on a single loop with 2 rads of that size you should be seeing sub 50c on the core and between 60-70c on the hotspot and memory temps depending on the thermal pads used. It sounds like poor contact to me.

Soldato
You have thermal throttling somewhere on the die. Take it apart and remount your heatsink. Make sure you do not over tighten the screws.

It seems like a ball ache but it's worth doing

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
OP
Well, that proves a point. In trying to tighten the EK block, I managed to sheer one of the threaded bolts holding the block to the 3090. I'm exploring with EK what to do. however I dug out my old OC water block and connected that. Much better performance https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/76050329. Core only got to 57, hot spot to 60 and junction 62. Core Mhz behaved much better too during the tests.

Now to fix the ek !!

Back
Top Bottom