Disappointing 3090 FE performance - any ideas

Soldato
Agreed.

Sounds like it's sorted now.

I can't recall the hot spot calculation, is it at least 10c above average core temp, and includes the VRM temp as part of the calc?

My 3080 is 13c delta when not much is going on, and once things heat up if it fluctuates between 10-12c delta.

Highest I get is 77 hotspot after an hour of quake rtx.

So pleased my I went to water-cooling.

the FE dont show VRM temps not that I can see only GPU/Hotspot and VRAM readings, but I've seen AIB cards reading VRM temps

I did repad on 3080FE , as expected much reduced the VRAM temps would get into the high 90s after repad 84-86c , hotspot delta was 10c which I was very happy with but now after around 8 months its 12c-13c thinking it could be with the paste pumping out over time I did use paste syy157 which was recommended as its thick and less prone to pump out hopefully wont worsen more

Associate
The 3090FE does (or at least that's my understanding), it's marked as 'junction temp' in HWiNFO, I'm not sure about the 3080FE.

Soldato
Yep, 3090FE does indeed have line item in HWINFO, not sure about the lower end cards though. Possibly not on 3080 / Ti and more important with 3090 with modules on rear.

j4pEZyf.jpg

Soldato
Yep, 3090FE does indeed have line item in HWINFO, not sure about the lower end cards though. Possibly not on 3080 / Ti and more important with 3090 with modules on rear.

j4pEZyf.jpg
Ha just noticed we're running basically identical systems except im using a ITX aorus board instead of the strix with the 9900k. Any plans on upgrading to Alder Lake? I've put it out there for a used 12700k combo to do me over for now if anyone bites.

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
OP
So, in summary, and with everyone's help I've managed to get my card sorted out, with decent settings and good synthetic test results 18400 with just over 20k on the GPU. GPU temps at idle of 34 against water temp of 32 on a 18 degree day. Stable 1935MHz during the tests , 49.5 degrees max with 66 degrees on the junction temp. Only 338w when running the tests, so I've learnt about underclocking along the way too.

It only remains for me to fix my EK block and replicate the cooling of the OC Block.

Apart from having to choose another colour for my coolant i'm a happy camper.

Thanks for all the help guys

Soldato
Ha just noticed we're running basically identical systems except im using a ITX aorus board instead of the strix with the 9900k. Any plans on upgrading to Alder Lake? I've put it out there for a used 12700k combo to do me over for now if anyone bites.

Heh and same case until you defected :cry:

My heart and e-peen says to upgrade, head says no. Reality is when I do game on it, usually my 3090 is the overall limit at 4k. The 9900k still does a pretty solid job all around for everything I play and I expect I will likely play that is upcoming. That said, I am getting the itch and the items your looking at are very good and exactly what I was looking at grabbing. Just trying to bide time to see what AM5 is like, new Intel CPUs and how DDR5 pans out as it becomes tighter in terms of timings and speed.

Soldato
So, in summary, and with everyone's help I've managed to get my card sorted out, with decent settings and good synthetic test results 18400 with just over 20k on the GPU. GPU temps at idle of 34 against water temp of 32 on a 18 degree day. Stable 1935MHz during the tests , 49.5 degrees max with 66 degrees on the junction temp. Only 338w when running the tests, so I've learnt about underclocking along the way too.

It only remains for me to fix my EK block and replicate the cooling of the OC Block.

Apart from having to choose another colour for my coolant i'm a happy camper.

Thanks for all the help guys
Sounds about right for your setup, they are much more in line with what you should be getting.

On my MoRa 360 setup with the gpu (3090 reference) and cpu (9900k) in the same loop my results are:

GPU Idle: 29/30c
Water Temp idle: 26/27c
Room Temp: 20c

GPU Synthetic load 99%: 44c
Water Temp: 29c
Same Room Temp
Memory temp around 66c
Mem junction temp 64c

Undervolt profile 900mv/1935mhz/+250mhz mem

I score roughly the same as you on the gpu around 20.5k i think.

kbgCYCx.jpg

Soldato
Heh and same case until you defected :cry:

My heart and e-peen says to upgrade, head says no. Reality is when I do game on it, usually my 3090 is the overall limit at 4k. The 9900k still does a pretty solid job all around for everything I play and I expect I will likely play that is upcoming. That said, I am getting the itch and the items your looking at are very good and exactly what I was looking at grabbing. Just trying to bide time to see what AM5 is like, new Intel CPUs and how DDR5 pans out as it becomes tighter in terms of timings and speed.
I'm sooooorrrrrryyy! Haha:cry:! I just needed a change plus the case/components were getting rather dusty so used it as an excuse to just dismantle and change over lol.

Same, its more the itch to upgrade than really needing to upgrade. I can happily get along with the 9900k for another year tbh, everything i play is pretty much sat at triple digits unless its something really taxing then it can drop to sub 60 sometimes.
I'm thinking DDR4 itx B660i Aorus board + 12700k for the time being and when DDR5 gets less expensive and better speeds i'll jump on that and upgrade the platform. The upgrade realistically shouldn't cost a lot, we should be able to get £200 back for the cpu, £100/150 for the board so the upgrade basically costs around £300?

Soldato

j4pEZyf.jpg
3080 FE shows the same info, though no VRM (not VRAM!) temps like some AIB cards do. Not sure if the hot spot takes VRMs into consideration but I have seen my delta go from 15C on fitting block to as much as 25C after 4 months. This has happened twice now, both times using some MX5 I had lying around so I will probably give the syy157 a shot :p

Soldato
3080 FE shows the same info, though no VRM (not VRAM!) temps like some AIB cards do. Not sure if the hot spot takes VRMs into consideration but I have seen my delta go from 15C on fitting block to as much as 25C after 4 months. This has happened twice now, both times using some MX5 I had lying around so I will probably give the syy157 a shot :p

Oh snap, thinking we was talking about memory, I shall go sit in my box :cry:

I'm sooooorrrrrryyy! Haha:cry:! I just needed a change plus the case/components were getting rather dusty so used it as an excuse to just dismantle and change over lol.

Same, its more the itch to upgrade than really needing to upgrade. I can happily get along with the 9900k for another year tbh, everything i play is pretty much sat at triple digits unless its something really taxing then it can drop to sub 60 sometimes.
I'm thinking DDR4 itx B660i Aorus board + 12700k for the time being and when DDR5 gets less expensive and better speeds i'll jump on that and upgrade the platform. The upgrade realistically shouldn't cost a lot, we should be able to get £200 back for the cpu, £100/150 for the board so the upgrade basically costs around £300?

Yep your not wrong, can get some decent prices still for 9900k so upgrade cost would not be too bad. Not a bad idea on, did not look hard enough for DDR4 based ITX boards. Dang now temptation is back again :o

Soldato
Oh snap, thinking we was talking about memory, I shall go sit in my box :cry:

Yep your not wrong, can get some decent prices still for 9900k so upgrade cost would not be too bad. Not a bad idea on, did not look hard enough for DDR4 based ITX boards. Dang now temptation is back again :o
My bad man haha, i'll take the blame if you jump on Alder Lake :cry:. Back on the hunt again for a decent price for these 2 items lol.

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
OP
So, an update is due. EK came through and the EK GPU waterblock is back in. I also snagged a MB EK waterblock so have thrown that in too. taking some advice from elsewhere I'm now pulling air in through the bottom 360 rad and out the top and side via a 280 rad.

However, I'm back to being disappointed, but with, thanks to all you guys, more knowledgeable.

Time Spy is back to reporting a 16700 score with only 18417 GPU score, a full 2000 less than what was achieved with an undervolt and the Alphacool block. Even accepting a increased coolant temp because of the warm weather, it's not great. Using @Jay85 figures I got that up to 18800 but still poor IMO.

GPU is running at 36, 49 under stress, GPU Hot spot peaked at 63 and memory junction at 60 with both around 49 when not under load. Coolant is running at 32, 35 underload. As interesting is that using the 3d Mark stress tests the rig failed the stability test. It sailed through when the Alphacool block was in place.

On this basis the Alphacool block is a better GPU block, that or I've cocked up when refitting the EK block, or i'm asking too much of my loop. Or more simply I'm expecting too much on a hot day...

I'm tempted to undertake a proper replacement of pads and paste next.

Back
Top Bottom