Disciplinary Meeting - What to wear?

Soldato
Hi there,

A colleague has asked me to sit in on his disciplinary meeting today. It's not until early evening.

A couple of questions;

1) What do I need to do? Just take notes?
2) What should I wear? Usual work attire is a uniform.

Thanks in advance,

You could take notes, it couldn't hurt.

But fundamentally you're there as an extra person to confirm what was said, to make it more formal. If you have a good enough memory then notes are an option, if your memory is bad, then it's a good idea to make notes. Particularly about anything contentious that's said.

However, I would expect a representative from HR/the employer to attend as well as line manager to take notes.

I don't attire matters too much, I think work attire, even though it's a uniform, would be better than casual clothing. I don't think it's worth changing into something smart.

Your main purpose is as a level-head who is not directly involved in what has happened.

Take notes, you should not be expected to participate really.
The idea is that you witness the procedure, and you can provide an impartial witness and ensure due process is followed.
Might be advisable to get a copy of the disciplinary procedure from HR before you go. So you can note down against it and note any breaks from procedure and key statements from the attendees.

But fundamentally you're there as an extra person to confirm what was said, to make it more formal. If you have a good enough memory then notes are an option, if your memory is bad, then it's a good idea to make notes. .

smart phone on video / record?

But fundamentally you're there as an extra person to confirm what was said, to make it more formal. If you have a good enough memory then notes are an option, if your memory is bad, then it's a good idea to make notes. Particularly about anything contentious that's said.

However, I would expect a representative from HR/the employer to attend as well as line manager to take notes.

I don't attire matters too much, I think work attire, even though it's a uniform, would be better than casual clothing. I don't think it's worth changing into something smart.

Your main purpose is as a level-head who is not directly involved in what has happened.

I should say that I am not starting work until 11pm, the meeting is a few hours before that, so I will be coming home after to get changed for work!

The restaurant manager will also be present in the meeting, along with the Deputy General Manager.

Edit:

Take notes, you should not be expected to participate really.
The idea is that you witness the procedure, and you can provide an impartial witness and ensure due process is followed.
Might be advisable to get a copy of the disciplinary procedure from HR before you go. So you can note down against it and note any breaks from procedure and key statements from the attendees.

I've read the disciplinary procedure already. I have a copy (it's part of my handbook). So I will photocopy before the meeting.

Last edited:
Probably not worth going in any different clothes - So just normal uniform. And I would personally hit record on the my phone to record an audio record of the meeting.

smart phone on video / record?

Legally, you are required to ask permission before making a recording of official proceedings like this if you'd like to be able to use the recording in an official manner at a later point. In my experience, recording requests are denied. :(

Probably not worth going in any different clothes - So just normal uniform. And I would personally hit record on the my phone to record an audio record of the meeting.

I wouldn't usually be in a uniform at this time, as I work nights ;)

I am aware that you can't record the audio without permission, and 9/10 times it will be denied. I think this is why my colleague wants me in the meeting.

From experience, don't offer any opinion and remain impartial. Best not to say anything in the meeting itself and once the meeting is over don't side with the guy who's being disciplined and start ****ging off the company.

1. Be present. Be alert. Take notes if you feel it necessary. Someone else should be there to take formal minutes but, as an attendee, you are likely to be required to sign the minutes to confirm that they are a true reflection of proceedings - it is easier to confirm / deny if you have your own record. Ultimately, you are there as a supportive presence rather than to take any active role.

2. Smart casual is fine. Uniform is fine. Best not to go looking like a slob but it is not you under the spotlight so it should not really matter apart from perhaps making the person you are supporting more anxious!

Back
Top Bottom