Discolouration - Test Yours? :-)

Associate
Not so long ago, I bought a couple of Viewsonic VX924s. I had to send them back because the colours warped if I wasn't looking at them dead on. If I put a plain wine-coloured background on and looked at it with my chin on the desk, the top of the screen would look black! If I was to move my head around when playing Serious Sam, for example (as you do :)), I don't want to see the sky changing colour. This does not happen with the 18" and 19" Dells at work, which maintain their colour uniformity at all angles.

There were also light bleeding issues along the tops of them. I would not have enjoyed playing Doom 3.

Oh, and one of the VX924s had a stuck subpixel which no amount of 'flashing' got rid of :(

I went into a few shops and did the chin-on-desk test to a few monitors.
Monitors that were good are: Samsungs 204T and 243T, LG-Flatron L1920D.
Monitors that were bad are: Samsungs 910MP, 930B, 914V, and Sony SDM-H595P/S.

I haven't looked but I assume the good and bad monitors are using different back panels.

I need to buy a bigger than 19" gaming monitor (considering one of the Dells 2005FPW, 2001FP, 2405FPW, Belinea 102035W, BenQ FP202W, Eizo FlexScan S2110W, Samsung M-204TS), and a non-gaming 19" monitor (Dell 1905FP, Hyundai ImageQuest B91A, L91A, etc. really open on this but it must have a black border), so my question is: do any of the monitors I mentioned have this horrid discolouration?

I would like to view them somewhere but No competitor talk please! and the ilk only seem to have crappy monitors that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

If you're interested in doing the chin-on-desk test, the best background colour to check with is #400020.

Soldato
All TN Film screens have those problems to a greater or lesser extent. You need to be looking at MVA or PVA panels which have far better viewing angles. Since you mention FPS games, I'd say MVA is your best option. They're not as quick as TN screens, but they should still be quick enough for most people.

Think you need to decide whether you want widecsreen or not.

Soldato
Out of the ones you mention, i'd go for the 2405FPW. Ive got one, and its great. It uses an MVA panel, is massive, looks good and has great connectivity. Unfortunately the price of them has shot up recently, so your best bet is trying to pick one up second hand from somewhere.

Associate
OP
Hmm, second-hand TFT, I am not sure. Why is someone selling their TFT? Could it be because of bad pixels, perhaps!

Back
Top Bottom