Disney World Orlando Day trip - Lost with options

Soldato
Hi All,
I'm thinking about going to Disney World for the day when I visit the US in 2 weeks. Plan is to arrive at Orlando Airport for 10.15 and head to the Magical Kingdom.

Looking at the travel options and how expensive it is just to get there from the Airport :eek: If I take public transport, its 1hr and 40mins to arrive at the Magical Kingdom. Uber you are looking at $80 one way.

For people who have been, how did you do it? I know they had a shuttle bus but this was stopped back in 2021 (i think).

If it looks to be a PITA for transport then I wont bother going :D

Soldato
Went back in 2019. I think Disney no longer operate the buses from the airport to the resort themselves though but they were amazing when we went. I think it's just another operator though but same service. It's not quick but I'm sure it was about 45 mins (we went to Port Orleans resort)

Last edited:
Associate
Hi All,
I'm thinking about going to Disney World for the day when I visit the US in 2 weeks. Plan is to arrive at Orlando Airport for 10.15 and head to the Magical Kingdom.

Looking at the travel options and how expensive it is just to get there from the Airport :eek: If I take public transport, its 1hr and 40mins to arrive at the Magical Kingdom. Uber you are looking at $80 one way.

For people who have been, how did you do it? I know they had a shuttle bus but this was stopped back in 2021 (i think).

If it looks to be a PITA for transport then I wont bother going :D

Not sure how Disney aware you are but have you checked what the park opening hours are for Magic Kingdom on the day you plan to visit? Even once you get to the parking area you've to get the monorail or boat to the park entrance. It takes a while. You'll need to queue to get your ticket as well unless you buy in advance (maybe you can buy online once you get there) but that leads to hoping your flight doesn't get delayed/cancelled.

Time to get out the airport shouldn't be too bad as I'm assuming you'll be arriving on a domestic flight.

Sounds horrendous to me TBH but if it all goes to plan and the park is open to 11pm or something it might work ok.

Soldato
OP
Went back in 2019. I think Disney no longer operate the buses from the airport to the resort themselves though but they were amazing when we went. I think it's just another operator though but same service. It's not quick but I'm sure it was about 45 mins (we went to Port Orleans resort)

Thanks, I found this site but couldnt work out the stops to the Magic Kingdom. Unless its listed as something else.

Not sure how Disney aware you are but have you checked what the park opening hours are for Magic Kingdom on the day you plan to visit? Even once you get to the parking area you've to get the monorail or boat to the park entrance. It takes a while. You'll need to queue to get your ticket as well unless you buy in advance (maybe you can buy online once you get there) but that leads to hoping your flight doesn't get delayed/cancelled.

Time to get out the airport shouldn't be too bad as I'm assuming you'll be arriving on a domestic flight.

Sounds horrendous to me TBH but if it all goes to plan and the park is open to 11pm or something it might work ok.

I be coming in by train from Miami, the tickets I be buying through their app and they are available for the day I am planning to go.

Soldato
When we went to Disney we were guests so could use the buses at any resort to move between them, doesn't look like Mears does direct to Magic Kingdom :( just literally every other one!

If you have your passes etc you may be able to just go to one of the others and get the disney bus (free) over to Magic Kingdom?

Does seem that Uber is the "go to" for this direct to MK though!

Associate
Id hire a car personally. I have been to Orlando about 4-5 times now for 2 weeks stays.

Assuming you want to see and do as much as you can in Magic Kingdom, Just doing some quick maths,-

Assuming again, you are flying internationally to Orlando, don't expect to be out of the airport by at least 1130-12pm.
Then if you're hiring a car, you'll probably be waiting a good 30-60mins, you might get lucky though and sail through.
By now, it's going to be at a minimum 12-1230pm
You then have an 1hr40min journey to Magic Kingdom, which is not even getting you in the doors. That will be the car park ticket booth. You'll then have to drive to the car park and they'll guide you to the emptiest one. At that time of day you're going to be pretty far from the park entrance. You'll need to get the car park bus, to either then get the boat or the monorail to the actual entrance to the park. Boat is slower but nicer, wait time is longer. Monorail is quicker and has AC.
By now it's probably past 3pm.
Once you get off the boat or monorail, youll then have to show your pass/ticket and have your bags searched.
It's now probably closer to 4pm. The park closes at 9pm, unless you pay extra for magic hours. I can't remember if that's every night or not.

Just a rough estimate of time, there could be less, could be slightly more.

It is always better to just get there as early as you can.

If you're not bothered about seeing the sites and just want to go on the bigger more adult rides, and make your way around the park as quickly as possible, I have managed to get there at opening, and be back at our villa by 2pm. Bearing in mind I go to the biggest rides that have the longest queues first, e.g. space mountain and the new avengers one which I haven't been on, as the queue would be minimal at that time of day.

May is definitely the best time to go though, that's when I used to go. The weather is great, not too humid and not too much rain, the parks aren't as busy either.

I hope you have a great time!

Associate
As per above - forget about a day trip - by the time/if you arrive the park will be rammed and you wont get to go on much anyway.

Its just not a day trip sort of a place.

Better off going to the beach or if you really we want to go up that way then Universal is a better bet -and has better rides imho.

Soldato
OP
Just to check back in. Ended up going, had to get an Uber from the train station cost me about £35 each way.

Arrived at the park about 11am, was there for about 6 hours. Im not much of a ride person but I did get to do a few, the park wasnt rammed and the max wait time was 45mins. Being Tuesday, I wasnt expecting the park to be rammed.

Only downside, rides were closed for about 2 hours due to heavy thunderstorms. But nothing could be done about that no matter which park I went to.

Glad I went, unless I have kids etc in the future. I have no reason to go again or Orlando in general. One of those things I ticked off my list. :)

Back
Top Bottom