Display driver crashes when CPU under load... wait.. what?

Associate
I have a very odd problem where my graphics card (1070) display drivers crash when my CPU goes under full load, for example when I try using 7 zip to archive.

1, I can put my GPU under full load while gaming no problem with the CPU sitting around 50%, (pulling 220W from the wall)

2, But with my GPU idle and cpu going balls to the wall using 7 zip the display driver crashes, the screens go blank then come on corrupt, after a few seconds everything reloads and its up and running again, (pulling 160W from the wall)

As you can see it is not a PSU issue as it is having this problem using much less power than when it works fine under heavy GPU load.

Anyone come across an issue like this before, it is just so strange.

Any hints, or fault finding ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kel.

Man of Honour
The display driver is one of the most real time intensive parts of the system and can be one of the first symptoms of memory, chipset or CPU instability.

Associate
OP
Thanks all, the system is not overclocked, ill run a RAM check and have a look at putting in an old GPU and stressing the CPU if I can get my hands on one.

When did it start?
New build?
System spec?
Checked windows event viewer?
In nvidia control panel: what is physix set to? CPU, GFX or auto?

Its an old system 2500k, not been overclocked for a good year as I don't need the extra power at the moment. 16GB 1866 RAM.
I added the 1070 last september with no issues.
It is on a fresh install of windows 10
PhysX is on auto.

Back
Top Bottom