• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Display driver stopped responding

Associate
I get this after 2-3 mins in Skyrim, game hangs and have to CtrAltDel to desktop. Other games crash regularly too, BF3 especially. Installed latest drivers and made no difference

the card is not overclocked, 6950 OC Twin FrozR III

PSU is Lepa B-Series 750W '80 Plus Bronze'

CPU i5-2500K 3.30GHz not overclocked

What should i do next? I'm considering running a monitoring program like speedfan in the background to record temps, but roughly what temp is too high?

Caporegime
Try setting your card to the reference speed of 800/5000, it's overclocked out of the box and from what I've experienced they're not always stable.

Associate
The last time i suffered from that problem it was with a way way older nvidia gpu

To solve it i dropped back a few driver revisions

For SH5 at the time i did edit the newest driver with some lines from the older ones (and lo n behold, the very afternoon i posted a link, nvidia released an updated driver lol)

Also, but in my every case of the problem for me it was nothing i repeat to do with any faulty hw like a lot of sites sometimes claim

Associate
I've been having a nightmare with my PC recently, running a 5870. I kept getting the vertical line crash, sometimes white/black, sometimes shades of grey or colours. Now if I was lucky it'd do the driver reset and recover but I'd then end up with corruption and need to reboot. But more often than not it would just totally lock up on me.

This got worse and worse until the point where once it had happened I'd quite often have to pull the power for 10 mins just to get it to boot properly.

Not saying this is your issue at all but it looks like the fix for mine has been to loosen my RAM timings.

So I'm thinking my ram may be on its way out but I've always run it no higher than it's recommended volts with it's tightest recommended timings but quite a bit under it's advertised highest speed. So part of me still thinks it could be drivers or a Windows update.

Caporegime
If you have the latest drivers installed and you still have the problem try this.

1. Open REGEDIT

2. Using Windows 7, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Gr aphicsDrivers

3. Once there you will most likely have to create a new DWORD (32bit users) or QWORD (64bit users). Name it TdrDelay.

4. Once created, change the value to 8. This will allow the GPU 8 seconds to respond instead of 2 seconds.

Also it would be a good idea to run memtest86+ to make sure your memory is good. (this has been the cause of a lot of "the display driver has stopped responding and has recovered issues")

Let us know if this helps your problems as many others are also having this issue.

Associate
OP
Try setting your card to the reference speed of 800/5000, it's overclocked out of the box and from what I've experienced they're not always stable.

Dropped them back close to the reference 6950 speeds 810/1250 and this has fixed the problem thanks

Also did check the temps beforehand and it was crashing at 60deg which seems very low

Associate
Dropped them back close to the reference 6950 speeds 810/1250 and this has fixed the problem thanks

Thats what i did on my 6970 lightning but after a longer duration of time (1 1/2 - 2 hours) it still crashed / froze up, But time will tell for you.

If you continue to have this issue try this below

I have now disabled AMD Overdrive in CCC under the performance tab & it Seems to be working for me, I have now put the card back to the default setting of 940/1375 because its the reason i bought this particular card & its not froze up or crashed since. (Fingers Crossed & Touching Wood) its still early days :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom