• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Display not detecting Aorus RTX 3090 from cold boot

Associate
I have this weird issue that's happened since swapping out a 2080Ti to a 3090. My PC is connected to a Samsung Q95T, which, when I boot up won't see the PC. You can tell the PC has gone to Windows start though - just not putting out anything on HDMI. However, if I switch the PSU off and on and then reboot, it picks up the card fine. It also works fine when just restarting the PC.

What is different from a boot where the power was completely off to one where the PC is off but PSU is on?

Associate
OP
It's a True HQ one from Amazon, which has good reviews for being 2.1 compliant. I have a spare one so will try that to see what happens.

Soldato
Had exact same issue with my 3090FE also. Exactly as you prescribe and first other person I seen who mentioned the issue. The weird thing was however, I could see the BIOS splash screen and also the second BIOS Screen which on ASUS motherboard is a bunch of little dots rotating until in windows. It was at that point the screen went blank and said no signal when using the LG OLED. I could tell it made it into windows as devices attached like Corsair keyboard and RAM which usually go into a specific colour mode do so based on software in windows starting up. Had to hold down power button to do a reset and then it came back fine and got past BIOS Screen fine. Tried most things I could think of

• Setting bandwidth to HDMI 2.0, so by that 4k@60hz once I did get into windows - Issues still persisted on next cold reboot and occasional restarts
  • Connecting GPU to entirely different gaming monitor - no issues
  • using 1080Ti with same cable to the same TV - no issues
  • I use a LG OLED so disabled deep color with 3090 - issues
  • With LG flicking instant game mode back and forth - did resolve issues, it seems once in windows for me, toggling this back and forth almost jogged the PC
  • Replaced 3090FE (partly due to coil whine) second one arrived with broken HDMI port out the box however so could not check. third one been dispatched so arriving next day or two so will compare
  • Replaced power supply - issue remained
  • Clean wipe of windows - issues remained
Not an expert, but the fact once in windows I got toggle instant game mode back and forth leads me to suspect some weird handshake issue going on. Of course it could also be the cable. Odd thing is, the cable once into windows does work flawlessly. 120hz @ 4k, with HDR at 4:4:4, G-Sync compatible etc

Am hoping my third time lucky 3090FE will not exhibit the same issues.

Associate
OP
That's really interesting you have had the same issue. I think because there are not many of these cards out there with people using a TV, not many are reporting issues. I think you are right in that it's a handshake issue between the TV and card when using 120hz 4k 4:4:4. Mine works flawlessly too when in Windows so I'm hoping there will be a fix via drivers or TV firmware update. I can work around it at the moment.

Soldato
I think some chaps in OLED thread do have the combo's and not reported issued. I suspect its a very select thing though, specific combination of drivers / hardware or something.

But yeah can be worked around once in windows, but suffice to say until I worked out the workaround, to say I was confused thinking my new shiney GPU was having problems was an understatement :p

Associate
Hey Radox,
same problem here since month!

There are two other workarounds (I find both not satisfying):
- turn off CSM in Bios
- Bootup without display, connect LG CX OLED after bootup

So somehow it is a HDMI handshake problem during "cold" boot up -> no ideal how it is related to UEFI and CSM.

(btw: Windows 10 is correctly installed in UEFI mode)

I think could be related to:

- LG firmware
- Nvidia driver or something in windows 10 (so far, I did not go through the hassle to deinstall the nvidia driver and try out a Windows VGA generic driver)
- something specific to ASUS?

I would love to know, if someone has the same problem on a different mainboard brand…

Associate
OP
I've since changed to an ASRock B550 board and still the same issue (works perfect using HDMI 2.0) so I think there is some kind of firmware update needed. As it's happening to other TV sets and not just Samsung, it looks like a card issue rather than the display, but perhaps all the TVs use the same chipset. I'm not too bothered at the moment - I don't really see any difference when running at 120Hz 4k than 60Hz to be honest. I'd like to see a fix at some point though.

Associate
Good to know, that the switch to ASrock did not solve the issue.

To be honest, I was not aware, that there is a Samsung TV with 120Hz 4k and G-Sync.

There are a couple of other threads reagarding this problem in other forums, which are always about LG OLED CX series.
Not 100% sure, if your issue is the same as mine.

Did you also tried these two workarounds:

- turn off CSM in Bios
- Bootup without display, connect Samsung TV after bootup

If so, do they also work for you?

Associate
I think I just found the reason/ the solution!

There is a Windows 10 Fast Startup option, which is normaly turned on. I was not aware of this. (just google it, to find it)
Turn it off!
At least my machine boots everytime like it should now.

Maybe UEFI Fastboot + Windows Fastboot is too fast for a proper HDMI 4K 120Hz G-Sync handshake.

Associate
OP

There is a Windows 10 Fast Startup option, which is normaly turned on. I was not aware of this. (just google it, to find it)
Turn it off!

Maybe UEFI Fastboot + Windows Fastboot is too fast for a proper HDMI 4K 120Hz G-Sync handshake.

That worked for me too! Top work! How did you find that out?

Soldato
Swapped the old 1070 for a 3070. Then it started beeping 4 times, before eventually POSTing. Worked fine, just made an annoying beep.
Existing install.
CSM was on by default.

That said I'm using DP monitors.

Associate
that's wired, because on newer boards CSM is disabled by default (since you want UEFI boot)
I have heard, it is not possible to switch from CSM to non-CSM, if windows was not installed while CSM was disabled
the otherway around is always possible

Soldato
I've had the board nearly three years, still on the stock BIOS as the updates slow the CPU down with security mitigations that I don't care about on a gaming rig. It always has booted in UEFI mode. Maybe some weird combination of settings?

Soldato

Turn it off!

Hi! Did not see your initial post, but seeing this thread active again jumped in. Smashing stuff though. I tried disabling "Windows Fastboot first" and thus far every restart / cold boot combination I have tried, which is about a dozen, Screen is now showing up perfect! :D

Does not seem to affect actual boot times so win win for me. Will reply back if I see a change, but usually by now, with 12 or so restarts / cold boots, usually 50% of the time the screen will come back with "no signal", not this time!

Associate
maybe in the future, when there are more true HDMI 2.1 displays, we'll find out exactly what the problem is:
- display firmware
- Nvidia Driver
- Windows 10 Fastboot

for now, the curretn solution is also great

Back
Top Bottom