• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DisplayPort and refusing to boot

Associate
Apologies if this is the wrong section...

I have a GTX 1060 and connect to an ACER monitor via DisplayPort. Usually I just let the monitor go to stand by when I shut down and have never thought about it.

Recently, I started turning my monitor off because I'm kind like that.

Today, I noticed something odd. When I power up my PC with the monitor well and truly "OFF", the PC does not post. Instead I get long beeps that repeat ad infinitum. When I power on my PC with the monitor on (or stand by) it boots absolutely fine. No problems. I have checked for loose connections etc but have found nothing.

This may be a coincidence, but I used to run two monitors, the second would be on HDMI. I am absolutely certain that I used to be able to boot the PC with the screens turned off when I had that set up. One oddity is that when I used to power up my monitors after booting PC on the dual monitor setup the display absolutely would not appear on the DP monitor and only on the HDMI monitor, treating it as a single-monitor setup. A reboot and everything is fine.

This a sign of problems? Is this a DP "feature" where it tries to initialise the DP on boot and if it can't then it'll default to an alternate source (HDMI)? Is this why now I am only using the DP monitor I get the beeps?

Card is MSI, motherboard is MSI also.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I used to have this when I had my Dell 4K monitor. I had to switch the monitor on first before turning pc on. Was not a big deal so I did bother looking up to see why it was doing it.

Associate
I've had a similar experience with a sub par dp cable, using an acell cable now I think and it doesn't happen anymore. Might be worth trying a different cable if you have one, from memory some had pins wired where they shouldn't apparently and I believe this may be the cause.

Soldato
I had the same 'issue' with my new AOC monitor connected via DP. If I ever turn the monitor off with the switch instead of the standby button then I tend to have to turn the monitor on first at the switch, let it initialise and go into power save mode before I boot up the PC.

Not the end of the world but a bit of a pain if I forget. I only have the one DP cable so not able to check if that is the issue but I can live with it.

Associate
OP
What happens if you turn your monitor off while pc is turned on? Id be scared to try lol.
When I used to run 2 monitors the display would default to the HDMI and it'd continue as if it were a single monitor set up. Now I'm only running the one monitor (DP) if just.... does nothing other than turn off the screen.

Permabanned
Odd issue. Perhaps the BIOS is considering the lack of display as an error? Is there nothing in the BIOS to bypass boot errors? Just trying to think of a sensible reason for this such as the old 'Halt on keyboard error' option.

Associate
OP
Odd issue. Perhaps the BIOS is considering the lack of display as an error? Is there nothing in the BIOS to bypass boot errors? Just trying to think of a sensible reason for this such as the old 'Halt on keyboard error' option.
I did look, but couldn't see anything. I just got to remember to turn the monitor on before I power up the PC.

I suspect maybe it is something to do with the graphics card? Both card and board are by MSI (card is a GTX1060)

Back
Top Bottom