Disposable Income per month?

Soldato
I work abroad for a UK company and they pay for everything, accomodation, living allowance, car etc, so all my income is disposable. Not a bad life, except the 60hr weeks and 1 day weekends.

Man of Honour
I gross £13500 a year. What is disposible income? :)

Three cheers for the most fortuitous decision I ever made - buying a house at just the right time, when prices were rock bottom. Not deliberately - I didn't have a clue about the housing market. So by luck I ended up with an adequate house in an adequate area...and a mortgage of £27K.

I'd like an extra £100 a month so that I could save a safety net, but things could be much worse. My job is easy and I have enough money to pay for essentials and some small luxuries, even bigger ones like a new graphics card if I save for a bit. Life pootles along quite well.

Well, actually I'd like an extra million a month so I could soon retire and never work again :)

Soldato
After phone bill and uni payment, on average I have 425 ish to spend every month. I don't include petrol ( 20 a week, provided I work 6 days) to get to work as I can cycle to work too so I consider petrol costs ''disposable income''.

Spend it all on rubbish :( and usually barely manage/break even per month. Recently I started putting at least 75 per month into savings to save some cash for something.
No debts luckily yet though I am occasionally in the red at the end of some months.

Last edited:
Permabanned
£1000 pm

Rent - £270
Council tax - £70
TV - £42
Bike HP - £46
TV licence - £12
Gas - £50
Electric - every 3 months say £150 -£200.

The rest is mine to do with as a i please.

Although I never seem to save much. I tend to withdraw £50 from the bank every other day.

Last edited:
Soldato
income £278.63 a month (job seekers allowance :D)

around half of it goes straight on utility bills and the rest is for food/other living expenses.

edit: BT phone line & o2 internet is included in the bills and i guess that could be considered bit of a luxury for someone in my position. :p

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
After I have paid everything I have Nowt left but what I need to get to the next month. :p
Everything I have is My Own though & I have not one single Debt. :cool:
I am Rich in Time which makes up for it & am still Fit as a fiddle & still pulling like a Loco. :cool: (altho the pulling is going to Stop I've had enough)

The way I see it there is enough crap around my house to sell to get the dough for my funeral & owt left can be slung on the tip with me, Waste not want not I say. :D

Soldato
i think as you get older you tend not to waste so much money,im pretty good now but 10 years ago i just wasted it and was left with nothing.

now i pay the mortgage (£600) and my phone and telephone/broadband and the rest is left to me.

my wife pays everything else and we live pretty good and are comfortable.

i tend to spend the rest of my money on my daughter (nearly 3 years old).

so i would say the older you are the better you are with money you have left each month.

thats just my 2p worth though and dont take it for gospel.

Soldato
After all the bills about £150 a month.
Luckily no debts anymore though. :D
No savings anymore either,after paying the debts off! :(
Still,new year,new start!

Man of Honour
Yes, but its always used. Either on nights out, more expensive food, restaurants etc

I think this is a key point - there's a strong tendency for people to dispose of whatever disposible income they have, unless it's so much that they can't spend it fast enough. I once knew a couple whose income octupled without much increase to their expenses - within a couple of months they were back to running short towards the end of the month. There are so many opportunities to spend almost any amount of money. I consider people having a disposible £500+ a month to be wealthy, but I'm sure that if I suddenly had it then within a couple of months I'd be spending it all and within a year I'd be wondering how people managed with less.

Associate
I have a wife & 2 kids so I have nowt ;) but I do save £500/month after mortgage & bill payments, paid cash for my car so no ticky there and I'm not a plumber and I'm not scared or uneasy about letting people know I have nowt! but I do pay higher rate tax! and I live in Switzerland and have a big red car with one seat in it! and my real name is Billy Liar :o

Soldato
Seeing as I'm still a student without a job I'm getting €800 per month from my parents to be paid back next year after my masters when i get a job.

Of that 400 goes on rent, 200 goes on food for the house (both of us put in 50 a week), 70 goes on buses, another 50 on lunches in college. After that I've got €80. Some of that goes on paying a bit of fuel to cover the times my gf drives me places and on tolls.

In the end I would say I've got at most €50 to spend on myself each month, that's enough for a few cans on a couple of nights out or in the lab. I've pretty much gotten by without buying myself anything unnecessary for the last two years.

Christmas is always tough, spent over €200 on presents which mightn't seem much but to me that's 4 months total spare cash, and I spent quite a bit on drink before christmas and last night :)

Soldato
Being new year and all im gonna have to try and sort something out with regards to my spending. £100 a week should be perfectly comfortable, considering my breakfast lunch and tea are all covered on base.

It just seems to fall through my fingers. Bloody frustrating.

Maybe people could also add how they like to manage their money so they dont fall short come the end of the month, might help me out! :)

Should be covered on base... you in the forces by any chance?

If so Im in the same boat - Food costs me £130 (3 meals a day) and accomodation cost me £60 - so after everything (tax, NI) , I come out with a grand and some of that goes to credit cards, mobile phone bills etc.

To be fair, I probably have about £800 to spend every month - but it never works out, and alas I got paid yesterday and from my grand , I already have £500 :(

I used to be good with money until I had a lot more of it :S

Associate
depends on how much work i have on really. some months £300 sometimes £5000+. averages out at about 2k though I'd say

Soldato
After I have paid everything I have Nowt left but what I need to get to the next month. :p
Everything I have is My Own though & I have not one single Debt. :cool:
I am Rich in Time which makes up for it & am still Fit as a fiddle & still pulling like a Loco. :cool: (altho the pulling is going to Stop I've had enough)

The way I see it there is enough crap around my house to sell to get the dough for my funeral & owt left can be slung on the tip with me, Waste not want not I say. :D
What if you suddenly got ill and weren't able to work?

While I am quizzing you, why do you randomly capitalise letters? :p

Back
Top Bottom