Dissapointed

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Monday I got an Opteron 165 shipped from my american buddy which has taken a couple of weeks of arranging (before OcUK got some) to arrive. Great I thought, so I ordered some kit to complete the upgrade. I got an Asus A8N-E, Samsung 19" TFT, 7800GT and a new 300Gb HDD for my existing 1Gb of Corsair XMS matched pair.

Put it together, mobo light on fans whirring and thats it...
took out the graphics card, still nothing no beeps. Reseated cpu, and other components. Im hoping its a dead mobo as I dont fancy shipping the opteron back but this is so frustrating.

Soldato
Th0nt said:
Monday I got an Opteron 165 shipped from my american buddy which has taken a couple of weeks of arranging (before OcUK got some) to arrive. Great I thought, so I ordered some kit to complete the upgrade. I got an Asus A8N-E, Samsung 19" TFT, 7800GT and a new 300Gb HDD for my existing 1Gb of Corsair XMS matched pair.

Put it together, mobo light on fans whirring and thats it...
took out the graphics card, still nothing no beeps. Reseated cpu, and other components. Im hoping its a dead mobo as I dont fancy shipping the opteron back but this is so frustrating.

Build out of case with minimum components installed?
Reset CMOS?

I assume that mobo supports that opty out of the box?

Soldato
OP
Yes the box states X2 cpus which I assume includes the dual opty's. I would build out of case but as I put back my old components to use a computer tonight I can safely say the RAM, monitor and HDD are fine at this stage.

Also when I got it started you couldnt turn it off by holding the button in for 4-5 secs which seemed odd.

Soldato
Th0nt said:
Yes the box states X2 cpus which I assume includes the dual opty's.

just worth pointing out that while the Opterons do use the same cores as the A64's and X2's they do still fall under the Opteron category. Only a few boards actually officially support 939 Opterons, despite them working 99.9% of the time.

anyway...

do everything you can to issolate what you may think is the problem.
make 100% sure it isn't your ram or your motherboard, or even the PSU before jumping to "its the processor".

it is worth running outside the case, that way you can be sure that nothing is shorting out whilst inside the case.

i recently went through the same trouble and sent off my Opty 146 back to OcUK... that was two weeks ago, and they've just sent a replacement... so it should be here in the morning hopefully.

Also when I got it started you couldnt turn it off by holding the button in for 4-5 secs which seemed odd.
this can often be set in the bios as to what it's reset/shutdown capabilities are. choosing whether its instant off, stand-by or a 5 second delay.

Associate
Make sure the CPU fan is plugged into the correct header.

Check that the CMOS jumper isn't set to clear.

Ensure the graphics card is properly seated and has the extra power plugged in (if required).

Ensure the motherboard has both the 24-pin and 4-pin adapter plugged in.

Build the PC out of the case with only:

CPU, heatsink, motherboard, RAM, PSU, graphics card

Turn it on with a screwdriver.

Note: Going back to an earlier thread, this is why computers should be built outside of the case for a simple test prior to installing...

Soldato
OP
OK first of all thanks guys for responding.

The reason im ruling out the RAM is that im using it in my old rig to type this.
The psu im using is also from my old rig (Tagan 480-u01) and it has a 24-pin connector. Dace the 4-pin adapter inst on this motherboard.

I will test outside, would running it on a wooden workbench be ok or stick it on something solid plastic be better?

I cannot set shutdown capabilities as it doesnt even post or make any beeps.

n3x

n3x

Associate
Th0nt said:
Dace the 4-pin adapter inst on this motherboard.

I had this exact same problem... do u have both 24 & 4 pin power connectors plugged in!? (circled red... i think)

If you dont have the 4 pin on your psu its time to upgrade ;)

Soldato
OP
n3x you made me a happy man!

That 4-pin was the problem, embarassing I know but somehow i missed it and also the 24-pin mobo connector got me thinking it never needed the 4-pin from the start.

The next hurdle was installing on a SATA drive. Took me ages as it kept looping on install and then loading up xp-cd instead of setting up windows. All this headache was for some reason the SATA hdd had to be on port 3...

OK what settings should I be changing in the BIOS for this board?

thanks

Th0nt

n3x

n3x

Associate
U'r most welcome ;)

I had abit of a mare building my system in december due to this... last time a build a pc that 4 pin never existed so its an easy mistake to make!

As for changing settings, what is it u are trying to achieve? :confused: im guessing u want to get overclocking that opteron!? :D

Soldato
OP
Yes the last overclok was a barton core and simple fsb multi tweaking with aggressive memory timings to finiah it off. The new hyperthingy and options have put me back to square one regarding overclocking so wondering what settings are to get ball rolling.

I want to achieve at first just a 2.2ghz stable overclock and i can buy a better cooler than the standard heatsink later.

Th0nt

Back
Top Bottom