1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distro choice

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by smogsy, Mar 7, 2019.

1. smogsy

Sgarrista

Hi all,

Looking for distribution suggestions.
    been running Ubuntu budgie for last few days. I like it, but I find it feels "heavy" not in the sense of ram usage but the feel, possibly animations?

Here is what I am looking for hopefully you can helo

- fast, reliable and stable
    - ideally quick releases from nvidia properitory stack.
    - looks good, modern / minimalist
    - not too much terminal requirement
    -. I don't mind little but don't want daily terminal requirements to do the little things

Uses
    General browsing
    Steam / possibly some lutris
    Programming / AI / automation
    Multiple workspaces

pc spec
    2950x 16 cores
    32GB 3600
    3x nvme Samsung 970 evos
    1080ti

(basically run anything)

I was thinking maybe manjaro? But open to suggestions. On distro and dwm environment.

Just want to get stuff done and feel snappy!

2. wiiija

Wise Guy

Kde Neon if you like the plasma desktop environment, very stable and updated often. I also like popOS, its very pretty and seems solid enough.

3. Hades

Capodecina

Linux Mint Cinnamon, Kubuntu or KDE Neon.

4. pete910

Wise Guy

Antergos with KDE(plasma)

5. Rainmaker

Sgarrista

Budgie is actually one of the lighter DEs - and with a 2950X, 32GB RAM and an nVME?... Pull the other one. :p Did you try disabling animations in Budgie Settings? It does make it feel faster for no discernable loss. Otherwise if you like Budgie then it's 'official' distro, Solus, is worth a look. It's developed by the guy who worked on Intel's Clear Linux, i.e. he knows how to make things impossibly fast and he ported all the tweaks/configs for speed to Solus. It also has Steam available.

Otherwise it's personal choice. KDE is lean and nippy these days, and even Gnome3 feels relatively light. It (Gnome) does cache a lot and *appears* to be using more RAM than most because of that cache - about 1.5GB - but it's faster for it. Esepecially, again if you disable animations (use gnome-tweaks).

I run Arch, which is lean by nature; but Angertos is worth a look too (Arch based). Generally, and arguably, the 'heaviness' would go something like:

no WM/DE > LxDE > XFCE > Mate > Budgie > Plasma 5 (KDE) > Gnome3

Distro does play a part though. Arch, Debian or Fedora will always feel snappier and lighter than *buntu ime, especially now the latter is shipping half its apps as Snaps.

6. opethdisciple

Capodecina

I'm happy enough with Ubuntu. (Having moved the dock to the bottom)

Fedora is very fast and if you skin it will look nice too.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  7. uvarvu

Mobster

Another vote for Neon. There are some desktop effects enabled by default but you can choose to switch some or all of them off if you like.

8. meth

Associate

Your rig will run any linux distro without breaking a sweat...

My recommendations are:

Mint Cinnamon 19.1 - (https://linuxmint.com/) for a nice comfy LTS release..

Solus - https://getsol.us/home/ for a more modern up to date rolling release..

or for decent bare bones snappiness you can't go far wrong with Xubuntu XFCE - https://xubuntu.org/

no idea about nVidia specifically, but I imagine the drivers are all the same no matter what the distro?

9. meth

Associate

If you want don't want to play in the terminal too often, avoid any Arch based distros... e.g. Manjaro...

10. Hades

Capodecina

If I remember correctly the nVidia drivers under Mint can be i stalled by choosing the proprietary drivers. I think that's an option during installation and also later from the menu.

With nVidia the proprietary drivers are better than the open source ones. But with AMD the open source drivers built into the kernel are the best ones to go for (AMD open source drivers get installed automatically when installing Linux which is one reason I prefer AMD nowadays).

11. pete910

Wise Guy

Come again ?

12. ltron

Wise Guy

Solus OS: https://getsol.us/home/
    It fits your requirements and is a rolling release with a focus on gaming (latest drivers for both AMD and Nvidia) and Steam integration.

13. wiiija

Wise Guy

PopOs! I know I keep saying it but its fantastic.

14. phrases

Hitman

Yeah a vote for plain old ubuntu just works..

15. Steveocee

Mobster

Ubuntu 19 is supposedly "faster" feeling now. Recent changes have improved the UI so your issues may now be non-issues.
    Failing that PopOS is another great choice.

16. opethdisciple

Capodecina

Fedora is a very snappy distro. Although I currently use Ubuntu.

17. alexakasloth

Soldato

Went over to Pop OS today, the upgrade to Ubuntu 19.04 certainly felt snappier than the LTS and steam has worked so far with CS:GO. Will need to try more games under proton/lutris.