Ditching my ISA

Soldato
It looks like HSBC in January are finally slashing my ISA rate by 38.2%, so it's time to ditch the banks for savings.

In one of the other savings related threads someone mentioned a website where you can invest money and specify a returns percentage by the level of risk, I'd be interested to take another look at that if anyone has the link ?

MW

Soldato
Im emptying my ISA at Xmas to pay off some of my mortgage. It makes no sense keeping it as interesting rates are shocking at the moment.

tricky though as the money you have in the ISA is prtected from Tax so should interest rates rise they will again become more attractive but you can't load them up anything like as quickly as you empty them.

Associate
Don't do this. Almost all banks give you a good introductory rate then slash it after 1-2 years as a tax on the lazy. Just move the ISA to another bank who will give you a better rate. ISA transfers these days are incredibly straightforward and the tax saving you get on the income is a huge boost. Don't forget that once you take funds out of an ISA you can neve put them back in so think hard before ditching it!

Soldato
tricky though as the money you have in the ISA is prtected from Tax so should interest rates rise they will again become more attractive but you can't load them up anything like as quickly as you empty them.

My ISA is less than 1% and my mortgage is 3.2%. Im effectively tripling my gains every month.

Soldato
Don't do this. Almost all banks give you a good introductory rate then slash it after 1-2 years as a tax on the lazy. Just move the ISA to another bank who will give you a better rate. ISA transfers these days are incredibly straightforward and the tax saving you get on the income is a huge boost. Don't forget that once you take funds out of an ISA you can neve put them back in so think hard before ditching it!

False... You can take money out and put it back in, but you're only allowed to deposit X amount per year. I see where you are coming from, but I have taken money out and put it back in later (I always come in under the top amount you're allowed to deposit)

Soldato
My ISA is less than 1% and my mortgage is 3.2%. Im effectively tripling my gains every month.
True, but is it not worth keeping some savings in case of bad times?

I would cash all my ISA out to pay part of my mortgage off, but a) the mrs is expecting, b) there are limits to how much you can pay off (mortgage wise) a month, c) having a backup stash is good if work goes bad.

Soldato
Stocks and Shares ISA.

You can put over £11k in per year.

Certainly more risk, but if you're in for the long haul then you will get a hell of a lot more reward.

Back
Top Bottom