Diving bans: Football Association approves retrospective action

Soldato
They really need this in, should be an instant 3 match ban and increased by 1 match every following offence, with the prize 3 points can bring it's getting more and more prevalent in the modern game.

They should also be changing referees rulings as well none of this "the ref saw it so we can't hand any punishment down" bull

Soldato
How about linesmen being banned when they cant even tell there is a yard of green grass between a player and the penalty box?

I really think people don't appreciate how difficult it is to be a linesman. The fact that they're right 90% of the time is incredible considering the pace of the game and the fact that they have to somehow be watching the play whilst always watching the last man.

Caporegime
It's a good idea domestically but we'll once again be at a disadvantage in European competition where foreign teams have it down to an art form, we already are to an extent though because Premier League referees allow a lot more physicality.

Soldato
Only incidents that result in a player winning a penalty or lead to an opponent being sent off - through either a direct red card or two yellow cards - will be punished.

This concerns me. So what about players simulating off the ball (eg. players confront one another and one 'places' (soft head butt if you will) head on other player and then he falls over as though hes been shot/stabbed etc)? If you're to punish for possible goals/sendings off etc why not punish everyone for simulation full stop. If it has been introduced for the above reason it wont be any different to make it punishable for ALL dives etc

Soldato
this isn't going to work

so a player simulates a foul during a game and his team win 1 - 0 after scoring the penalty

following the game it goes before the 3 judges panel and they say he did simulate a foul i.e dived and hes given a two game ban

doesn't change the fact his team won 1 - 0 and the opposing team lost out on points due to this.

bring in video replays now or don't do this at all

Soldato
I hope they clarify what happens in the event of a dive which either happens during or immediately after a defender shirt pulling, or where they basically wrap both their arms around forwards at corners/free kicks. Got to put some disincentive on the defenders too in these situations if you ask me. I am in favour of the new rule, or the Vardy Law as I will call it, but can see it shifting the balance of power towards shirt pullers even more than it is now if a forward can't react to being fouled in a way that refs 9 times out of 10 will do sod all about. They would have to say that if a defender has a handful of shirt and the forward goes down either, during or immediately after, despite their being no relation between the laws of physics and the forwards legs collapsing under them, then the forward could not be deemed to have dived retrospectively. They do that and they go some way to stopping shirt pulling in the box over night as well.

Soldato
I really think people don't appreciate how difficult it is to be a linesman. The fact that they're right 90% of the time is incredible considering the pace of the game and the fact that they have to somehow be watching the play whilst always watching the last man.

there are some difficult decisions to make yes, but the one I was referring to was as blatant as you will ever get

Ah now I understand why Diego Costa is leaving...

That made me spit my tea out :)

Caporegime
Literally every other big league went with video replays next year, our FAs move is to bring in retroactive punishment for dives. Considering they have retroactive punishment for violent conduct and other things and MUCH more often than not they fail to use this, precisely because if they come along after a game and admit a huge decision was wrong that would have changed the course of the game it looks bad.

This will only get used rarely, it won't change the result of a game and won't be used often enough(most likely) if it gets used enough in the early weeks it might discourage some people from doing it for the short term but as in most of the FAs "we're going to punish XXX more severely this year", it's almost immediately followed by 2-3 reds for lets say two footed tackles as happened after Jan this year, then a couple of people for appearing to make two footed challenges but actually not, but they get caught up in the refs having to appear to be against them, then 2 months later the refs have given up giving two footed challenges special attention and people get away with them more often than not.

This is the most pathetic and small step they could take basically, and is another step that shows they don't want video replay.

Back
Top Bottom