DIY 15" Retina Desktop Monitor?

Associate
Hi,

Does anyone on these forums know much about laptop display connections, especially apple ones?

It occurred to me that the 15" retina display on the new macbook pro could make a good computer monitor for an effective desktop space of 1440x900.

I'd take a guess the internal connection is DisplayPort but one would need to know the correct power requirements and connections for both.

Jonathan

Soldato
Unless things have changed you can't make a direct connection to a LCD panel. You need a 'lcd driver board' to convert the video signal from the computer to something the LCD panel can work with.

Soldato
Yep, I've taken apart a dell before with the hope of reusing the monitor. It's very likely that they use a proprietary connector internally that you'd have to be quite good at electronics to first figure out how it works and then patch it an output from your computer. Not only that you'd have to find a power supply that can give exactly what the monitor needs and rewire that connector too.

And in the end you have the tiniest desktop monitor seen in the last 15 years. Not really worth it in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom