DIY Battery/Solar installation..

Transmission breaker
Don
CliffsNotes - I am looking to build a battery system for my house, then perhaps add a solar array to it later, but I want to do it DIY.. As much as possible....

Background - I have had a couple of Solar quotes recently, and am not impressed with the "Value" they provide. Upon looking up the costs of the parts alone, there does seem be a very significant mark-up being charged, and Labour costs seem somewhat crazy for the work actually being done. Which means that pay-back times are 2-3 times longer than if you were to DIY the system.

We typically use about 8000-10000 kwh in a year, which I think puts us in quite a heavy user bracket.

So, with that in mind, I am planning a DIY option with an Inverter and Battery first with a DIY install. Then later when I have the system up and running, add solar power once I have got things running properly. I can then use a night rate to charge my battery, and use this during the day to offset some of my electricity costs, before then topping this up with solar if I do add it eventually, or add a second battery. This will all depend on how things are going with usage after the first battery is in and I have some data on how it is affecting any overall usage/bills.

I wish to use a battery kit like this:
Which should give me over a 15kwh battery for about £1500.

I believe that I will then need a 5Kw Hybrid inverter, which I am shopping for currently. (I am budgeting as close to £1000 for the inverter+parts+sparky final connection/sign-off)

So, all in costs for the initial system would be around £2500, and the closest systems I can find online are all upwards for £7000 for similar systems without solar. So, pay-back would be much sooner!

Has anyone else got experience with this?

It seems that MCS is not needed for solar installations anymore to qualify for being paid for excess, which is great, so I will look to do that once(if) I go solar, and will also do the G99 (as its over the 3.6 limit for G98) application to the DNO myself before the installation starts, and after I know the manufacturer/models and specs of all the kit I intend to use.

As far as I can tell, the only part of the work that HAS to be done by an electrician is the final connection to the board, provided I follow Part P for anything I do, it should not be an issue! I did the wiring for a shed in my old place, followed part-P and got it all inspected/signed off/final connections done by a sparky, and paid him some moolah to do this.

It does seem that DIY for solar/battery is becoming a lot more common, and the MCS accreditation (now correctly!) not being enforced on applications to providers for feed in rates should mean it is a lot more accessible provided you are willing to do the paperwork!

Last edited:
Inverter prices seem to be all over the place, but I am thinking something like this:
With the extra costs of hardware and signoff. may need to up the budget a little bit for that kit!

That inverter and the pack you've linked aren't compatible (your pack is 48v and the inverter wants 80v - 480v), also it seems limited to 40 amps on the battery connection so to achieve 5kW charge/discharge from battery you'd need a pack around 125v. (Someone with more knowledge might find other things with the spec though, i'm not that knowledgable having only started looking into it recently)

Personally I can't get the maths to add up for my situation even on a self install battery only. It would take nearly 10 years payback since we only use about 12kWh a day at an average cost of about 14-15p per Kwh. Factoring in purchasing at 7.5p thats only saving a £1 a day. At the 10 year point I think you need to factor in replacement of most of the parts. I'd be better off just banging the capital instead into S&S for a 6% return

Thanks! I am still just shopping around for ideas, prices, and not done any specific checks yet, but I will always check specs before I pull the trigger :D

Quick Q, if you have your hybrid inverter connected to the Consumer Unit, and it's a 5kw inverter, and you demand 6kw from the house, will the load be effecrively split over the mains and battery supply, or will this overload the inverter?
I sometimes see short spikes of 8kw usage in my house and was worried that it would trip the inverter and require it to be reset.
This would make me unpopular with the wife and kids :D

Happy to move up to an 8kw, but surely people with 3.6kw systems are not always limiting load to under 3.6kw?!

Last edited:
Ok, so I have a Sparky on-board, and doing my G99 application. Costing me £150, which I am willing to pay to ensure it is done correctly first time! I will be doing the physical installation (wall mount, etc), and he will do the final wiring once the G99 is back.

I now have to select an inverter... I am after 5kW Hybrid, with 2 solar input, supporting the 48v battery kit. with CAN communication.

So far this one looks be good:

Open to suggestions :)

Last edited:
First question in your scenario should be how much do you think you want to tinker, or do you want a plug n play not really go near it type system.
Happy to tinker, would like to be able to see whats going on at a minimum, and perhaps set some behaviours on the fly as and when needed!

I can see a 15% discount code from CityPlumbing, so looked at this one:

Is Sunsynk a good brand?

Last edited:
@Ron-ski - I think I am leaning more towards the Solis inverter for the now. It seems to be the best value to performance. It also is listed as compatible with the CAN for the Seplos battery kit, on the main page, so should be simple enough to get talking to each other :) They are also seemingly supported by octopus, and I think this will make stuff easier for the application. I like the backup option for maintaining critical equipment also.
It has two string for solar (as I understand it) which I like, so I can build one install, and add another later easily.
It looks like I can add Solis-cloud function later if needed, using an adaptor on the "COM" port under the unit. I think this is close to the Victron functionality (in some parts?)
- Solis cloud update video

Hopefully I am not barking up the wrong tree, but I think this should be a work-able system :D

My next major issue is knowing if I need a local earth for the inverter, or if I can just connect it to the house earth. The house uses a PME as I understand it, which is a form of TC-N-S earthing system.
So, in the event of a supply failure, the dno should have earthing points between me and the failure, which I think means I won't need an earthing rod for the property as my inverter eps should still use the PME to get an earth.

BUT I am reading that I could also add an earth rod to my existing grounding block in the meter cabinet to be sure, but this seems like a faff I would like to avoid if I could :D

Last edited:
@Ron-ski - The Solis S5-EH1P5K-L is a 5kW hybrid inverter, which is ideal for residential energy storage systems. Compatible with both lithium and lead-acid batteries, this highly efficient inverter offers uninterrupted power supply (20ms reaction) and a back-up supply to support more critical loads.

MY understanding (from the wiring diagram) is that you put stuff that cannot handle 20ms switchover onto the back-up and everything else has a "dirty" interupt, but power switches over. I have UPS on the things that could not handle it, so not going to use the backup circuit!

*edit* I stand corrected! It looks like EPS is only available IF you buy a separate module, so there is no requirement for a local earth, regardless as I will be without EPS initially, anyway :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom