DIY Kitchens... still the best value for money?

Soldato
I was in the DIYK showroom last week and they do look a very decent finish (not 100% convinced on the quality of the drawers)

The kitchens all looked good, with some nice features and plenty of colour options - they'll even colour the carcasses the same colour as the doors :)

Walked out with plenty of carcass, door and worktop samples and will be returning with the Mrs at some point

Edit

Looking at the Harewood in Alabaster with black granite worktop and contrasting oak island

QsSczhJ.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
As a kitchen fitter i think i may be able to offer some advice here. DIY kitchens are probably one of, if not the best places to go for design advice. My fitting partner and i have fitted a few of there kitchens for our customers and the experience has left us feeling very positive. That's not always the case with a lot of online based kitchen suppliers.

You mentioned the height of the cooker hood. If the hob is gas ? the minimum (gas safe regs) height above the burners (not the worktop) is 750mm. This would normally mean 800mm above the worktop. Note that the regs say "Minimum", you can of course fit the hood above that height any amount you want to. If the hob is electric, most manufacturers recommend a minimum height of 650mm, again, this a "minimum" and you can still fit the hood higher than the minimum.

Associate
I used ikea to design and supply my kitchen and i fitted it myself. i was impressed with the quality for the price but i think the design part purely depends on the individual you get in store

Soldato
OP
As a kitchen fitter i think i may be able to offer some advice here. DIY kitchens are probably one of, if not the best places to go for design advice. My fitting partner and i have fitted a few of there kitchens for our customers and the experience has left us feeling very positive. That's not always the case with a lot of online based kitchen suppliers.
That is really good to know, especially from someone on your side of the equation.

I will definitely be making the trip in to see them once I have the designed firmed up. If you wouldn't mind casting a critical eye over it, I'll gladly share the ideas in this thread.

You mentioned the height of the cooker hood. If the hob is gas ? the minimum (gas safe regs) height above the burners (not the worktop) is 750mm. This would normally mean 800mm above the worktop. Note that the regs say "Minimum", you can of course fit the hood above that height any amount you want to. If the hob is electric, most manufacturers recommend a minimum height of 650mm, again, this a "minimum" and you can still fit the hood higher than the minimum.
The hob is induction (Bosch PXX2715FCIE) and the hood is the Britannia Latour 120cm.

If the hood is anything less than 1000mm from the worktop, I'll be headbutting it.

Soldato
OP
I used ikea to design and supply my kitchen and i fitted it myself. i was impressed with the quality for the price but i think the design part purely depends on the individual you get in store
I am looking to get as many ideas on the table as I can when it comes to the design, so I might see what my local IKEA has to say and try and amalgamate them into one working plan.

DIYK sound like they will be able to have the 'final say' so if I can drive up there with my plan for them to add the finishing touches to, it's all good by me.

Soldato
That is really good to know, especially from someone on your side of the equation.

I will definitely be making the trip in to see them once I have the designed firmed up. If you wouldn't mind casting a critical eye over it, I'll gladly share the ideas in this thread.

The hob is induction (Bosch PXX2715FCIE) and the hood is the Britannia Latour 120cm.

If the hood is anything less than 1000mm from the worktop, I'll be headbutting it.

Then fit it at 1000mm, it's really not a problem. How tall are you by the way ? Only ask because i've fitted them at all sorts of heights to suite a customer, but never 1000mm lol :D
No problem looking at the finished plan.

Soldato
OP
I am about 6'1, but let's say 6' for the sake of argument. I'm sure to be shrinking as I get older!

Part of my distance issue is that I cook semi-professionally and have spent enough time in kitchens to know that I can't be doing with bending under a hood to cook. But then there is industrial strength extraction in a professional kitchen versus a consumer grade unit to think about as well... what works way above head height in one doesn't for the other.

Anyway, upshot is that 1000mm feels right as a target. In practice it'll be a question of getting the thing on the wall to test and see how movement is. I'll go as low as I can to afford the hood the best chance of doing it's job!

Soldato
I am about 6'1, but let's say 6' for the sake of argument. I'm sure to be shrinking as I get older!

Part of my distance issue is that I cook semi-professionally and have spent enough time in kitchens to know that I can't be doing with bending under a hood to cook. But then there is industrial strength extraction in a professional kitchen versus a consumer grade unit to think about as well... what works way above head height in one doesn't for the other.

Anyway, upshot is that 1000mm feels right as a target. In practice it'll be a question of getting the thing on the wall to test and see how movement is. I'll go as low as I can to afford the hood the best chance of doing it's job!

If you cook semi pro then the height is very important. So is the extraction rate of the hood. To be honest, there are better one's around than the one you have chosen, but it might be down to looks and what Mrs Glitch likes lol ? :D
Anyway lol..............as long as the hood you have chosen vent's straight through the wall behind it, there will be no issues.

Soldato
OP
If you cook semi pro then the height is very important. So is the extraction rate of the hood. To be honest, there are better one's around than the one you have chosen, but it might be down to looks and what Mrs Glitch likes lol ? :D
Anyway lol..............as long as the hood you have chosen vent's straight through the wall behind it, there will be no issues.
If you can show me something better that still retains the industrial style of that Britannia, I'm all for it. It'll vent outside and I have plenty of room for ducting.

To give you an idea, the entire kitchen/diner is brick-faced with London stock but the kitchen will be faced with weathered white tile, like this. The worktops will be laminate in a brushed concrete like this, the cabinets will be a matte white handleless and the floor is yet to be determined as it depends on how it works throughout the room as well as with the kitchen.

Those are the current thoughts, anyway. Fortunately I get to pick as it is my space!

Soldato
We have a 10 and 7 year old and don't think the colour of the worktop will have a major affect on the mess which will need clearing up :p

What made you go for granite over quartz out of interest?

We did a ton of research into tops, corian etc and quartz actually seemed to be the best. The red wine thing was the kicker for us, i.e. few hours on granite and you're done stained for life, whereas quartz is weeks.

Stuff like corian we avoided altogether because it can't take a hot pan.

Soldato
i just ordered DIY kitchen after getting ideas/design elsewhere

it will be here end of the week

it was atleast £ 1500 cheaper than elsewhere

Associate
If you are happy to post your measurements online I'll take a look for you. I design high end German kitchens for a living so might be able to give you some ideas.

Associate
That's a decent space. I have an idea in mind. I'll keep it fairly simple so that diy kitchens should be able to replicate it if you like it. Give me a few days I'll post some renders here

Soldato
Brilliant, thank you :)

Notes / scribble on the right are a Post it of ideas (in case you can't read them) saying:

Fridge
Freezer
Dishwasher
Hob / extractor
Oven
Microwave
Larder unit
Wine fridge / store
Pan drawer
Sink / drainer

Ceilings are about 2.6m but (being a bungalow) we are going to plater up the rafters for a vaulted ceiling (the two skylights are shown)

The 3160 opening to the left goes into a sun room and were looking at a long table (running north / south) just to the right of it

Also a large existing dresser going on the southern (2574.5) wall !

Thanks again !

Associate
We did our kitchen earlier this year and had quotes from local kitchen fitters, as well as some of the main ones: Magnet, Wren, Wickes & Howdens. We ordered with Wickes and weren't happy with the fitter they were using (got measurements wrong straight away) and cancelled. In the end, we used some ideas from the various designs we'd had done and then measured ourselves and ordered DIY Kitchens. Very happy with the build quality, their customer service etc. Shortly after ordering our kitchen they then had a Boxing Day sale - we called them and they agreed to apply the discount to our order when strictly speaking they didn't have to as we were tied in.

I recommend visiting the showroom too - I travelled up there a couple of times and the staff are really helpful and will work through designs with you. Get there early / on opening as everyone is there for the same thing and you can end up waiting around to get a free staff member! On the plus side, there's someone making bacon butties in one of the showrooms with tea and coffee available too so you can at least have breakfast while you wait!

A word of caution - do not rely too heavily on other company measurements - we found that every single company had an error somewhere in their measurements. Quite often they don't care about this when mocking up a design as they have someone come or to re-measure once you've ordered to ensure your order will fit. Wren in particular were completely off!

Associate
There are a few ways you could do this in my opinion;

Go with an island (as shown below).

Or a U shape with peninsula.

Personally I prefer the island look as it gives more space for tall cupboards which allows space for the larder fridge and larder freezer, whilst still providing plenty of storage.

The sink could be under the window on the right if you prefer.

I wasn't too sure of the exact roof set up but by the sounds of things it will be pitched. This will create some issues regarding the positioning of the hob. If you go with the hob on an island (as shown) it will limit your extraction options. I have shown a downdraft extractor but there are now hobs with integrated extraction. They might be quite expensive but probably cheaper than a separate hob and downdraft extractor. The only issue with these is that you require special draw units to allow for the workings of the extractor, I am not sure if DIY kitchens will be able to offer this. Downdraft extractors are simpler in this regard as they don't interfere with the draw units normally.

Of course you could always put the hob between the two windows and then you could have a conventional extractor, and by the looks of things it would be easy to externally duct. However doing this would mean possibly putting the sink on the island or peninsula and I am not sure if running the plumbing and waste would be an issue. I think it would be a bit to tight to put the sink and the hob on the same window run, especially if you want the sink relatively central under one of the windows.

Back
Top Bottom