Do all PU Chairs peel -eventually ? Secret labs/Nobles

Associate
The reason NobleChairs PU Leather does not peel is because it is "Vegan PU" meaning it does not use any real leather. SecretLabs uses PU Leather made with a thin layer of real leather and that is what eventually peels.

Basically all "Bonded Leather" in more recent years called "PU Leather" found in sofas, chairs, jackets etc will peel over time (3+ years) since it is this thin real leather layer that is peeling away from the bonding process.

The key is to look for "Vegan PU" and it should not peel ever.

Associate
I've got a chair I bought about ten years ago from Costco.
It has now 100% peeled and looks like a scruffy fabric chair.
It also squeaks like anything when I rock back and forth (I have lubricated it) and it drives the wife mad.
The gas strut failed and it kept sinking - I repaired it with a piece of pipe around the outside - it stays exactly where I want it.

I know I should get it replaced, but it's really comfortable - I don't want to spend on a new chair only to be uncomfortable and disappointed.

Soldato
The reason NobleChairs PU Leather does not peel is because it is "Vegan PU" meaning it does not use any real leather. SecretLabs uses PU Leather made with a thin layer of real leather and that is what eventually peels.

Basically all "Bonded Leather" in more recent years called "PU Leather" found in sofas, chairs, jackets etc will peel over time (3+ years) since it is this thin real leather layer that is peeling away from the bonding process.

The key is to look for "Vegan PU" and it should not peel ever.

This. I would avoid PU Leather like the plague, unless it's the non-bonded "Vegan PU stuff"

Although, I went for a fabric chair, because they breathe better and my office can get extremely hot in the summer.

Soldato
PU definitely will crack over the long term there is nothing you can do about it. Higher quality or thickness will last longer but they cannot escape the inevitability that they will crack.

leather fares better especially when treated and looked after well such as polishing and giving back the oil it needs to stay supple. Leather is obviously a nature material the colouring and finish is applied onto the leather itself.

unlike PU leather which is coated with a layer of PU on a backing (the actually leather is not natural or monolithic). So the Pu is very susceptible to peeling over time due to wear and tear as well as maybe degrading through natural processes.

Back
Top Bottom