• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do AMD provide any benefit to the retail GPU segment.

AMD and Intel have a lot of history, AMD see Intel as a mortal threat, their strategy is to cut Intel down to size as a way to neutralise that threat.

For AMD everything is about that.

In 2020 AMD's revenue was $16 Billion with 45% margins
In 2020 Intel's revenue was $78 Billion with 60% margins

In 2022 AMD's revenue was $26 Billion with 50% margins
In 2022 Intel's revenue was $62 Billion with 34% margins

In Q1 2022 Intel's revenue was $18 Billion, in 2023 Q1 its expected to be $11 Billion, Intel will likely fall between $40 to $50 Billion by 2023 years end, AMD should stay the same at around $26 to $27 Billion with margins very much higher than Intel, they have Intel on the ropes and there is no mercy here, this is almost revenge. Very cold revenge.

Last edited:
What I find depressing is that AMD have the ability to compete. Sure they might not have a 4090 class... but going by recent interviews they easily could have had a card like that. At every other price point they they easily compete in performance the problem is like Nvidia they saw the value increasing and decided to join them rather than keep things consistent.

They also market the 7900xtx as $1000 because they "didn't want to go above $1000" I personally don't buy that at all I think that's *********. They simply couldn't compete, if the 7900xtx was matching 4090 peformance then they definatly would go above $1000 after all the only people they answer to and care about are their investers regardless of the public image they try to put out.

Personally I think they should go for market share and massivly undercut not because of Nvidia but because of what it will do to the market. If they gain marketshare rapidly as consumers we all benefit from that competition. Look at GSync vs FreeSync as soon as FS started taking of and being successful it forced Nvidia to open up GSync on monitors without the GSync chip and more monitors became compatable, that was due to the success of FreeSync not becuase Nvidia was being nice. The same would happen in the GPU space, more support for open source software like FSR and open up the market to a more consumer friendly space.

Unfortionatly I can't figure out what AMDs game plan is, it just doesn't make sense the $1000 price point for the 7900xtx was just too high to drive demand, it's been a few generations since i've seen the current situation where there's ample stock on all cards on day one especially with such short supply, normally they would sell out and trickle in over time but this time never a shortage.

There's also in my view a delusion among businesss as a whole not just in the computer component but as a whole, you hear them complaining no one is buying products (due to the well known massive inflation going around and peoples spending power being reduced) then they complain they don't make enough profit so put prices up even more then complain people don't like the new prices.... if people were penny pinching at the lower prices putting them up isn't going to make them suddenly be able to afford the new prices, it's ridiculous. (At least SSDs are crashing in price!)

There's a habbit of companies putting prices up when times are bad, but they don't put them back down when times are good and in my view thanks to recent world events people are starting to wake up to this as a whole and are putting up their collective middle finders.

For me it's not so much AMD has given up in the GPU space, it's that they are targeting the wrong things, are oblivious to lets call it the "financial awakining" consumers are going through while simultainsly trying to position themselves as the saviours of the space. When in reality, they should go for market share and go for the revenue to really push their software, because lets face it while some people have issue with it, their software is far superior than the "Nvidia Experience" they could really drive that as it's far more consumer friendly than Nvidias which looks like it's stuck in 2002. They should also be more aware of the current global situation and place their products so they compete where they should not rebrand them as a higher model than their current chip is you can't call out the competition on their BS then do the same damn thing. (7900xt that should be a 7800xt)

My conclusion is that AMD could EASILY compete and grow and they are delusional, the fact is they already know what to do, they can do it, and they have already done it, why they don't simply mimic the Ryzen Gen 1 launch success and apply that same stategy to the new GPUs? it actually bewilders me.

The 6600XT has always been a better and cheaper card than the RTX 3060, right now the 6650XT is £270 while the 3060 is £320 while the former is a solid 15% faster, its been that sort of price to performance difference, at least for the life of those cards, about 15% faster and 20% cheaper.
This is AMD competing on price, the 6600XT is one of AMD's best selling cards.
So get this, there are 20X more RTX 3060 GPU's on Steam Hardware Survey than 6600XT.

AMD can see this, what they can see is that competing on price just doesn't work. Just being cheaper is no guarantee of market share gain.

There is a guy asking about used 3090 vs new 7900XT, the former is £100 cheaper, personally i think the answer to that is obvious, to get a 2+ year old card of unknown origin and treatment with little if any warranty vs a brand new faster card for a 15% difference in price seems bonkers to me.

But he seems like he's made his mind up and wants DLSS.

What Nvidia sell now is DLSS, and AMD don't have DLSS so they are not what people want.

Isn't this just because nvidia got the 30 series out first, and pre-scalping, it was good value for money for the performance.

Why can't AMD be the ones getting their next series out first instead of lagging 3 months behind Nvidia on release schedule?

Why don't they make the fastest card for a change?

No, i don't think that's the reason. they have both been out for very much longer than the gap in release dates.

Last edited:
Because they would set it even higher, especially at the more mid to lower range. There would also be absolutely zero incentive for them to push the performance envelope. Why bother making a card like the 4090 with the huge gap it has over the 3090 if there is zero competitor product like a 7900 XTX that will appear in every review alongside it.

Have people not been paying attention to Nvidia over the years? With zero competition they will give you what is absolutely best for Nvidia, it would be an opportunity for them to maximise profitability even further and minimise big jumps in performance.

The idea that its AMD's job to make Nvidia cheaper is part of the problem, AMD playing along with that does not stop Nvidia getting ever more expensive.

Nvidia don't get any real criticism, its always AMD's fault for not playing their part to a satisfactory level.

Last edited:
Actually Gen 1 Ryzen exploded AMD's CPU sales, by second gen AMD were outselling Intel by anything up to a factor of 3X.

There were quite a few GPU's in AMD's line-up since the days of ATI that were as good or better than Nvidia equivalents for less money, right up to and including RDNA2, yet those cards never made any significant changes to AMD's marketshare, its been in steady decline ever sincce,
People argue well AMD never got it quite right for reason X or Y, even @Bencher doesn't believe the slower more expensive 3060 outweighs the 6600XT by 20:1 on Steam because it has more VRam.

No, its because its not an Nvidia card, that alone makes it worth at least 30% more, as many like repeating here "Nvidia are worth more" AMD will play along with that to some extent but they are never going to be 40% cheaper for similar cards.

Last edited:
I have a question for anyone brave enough to attempt an answer...

RX 6650XT £270
RTX 3060 £320

What do you think the RX 6650XT would have to cost to ratio the RTX 3060 1:1 for sales?

Last edited:
Which is another way of saying that they didn't get the currently level of marketshare overnight...

With all the features that Nvidia had? Ray tracing etc.? And are we talking about the top end cards? Cuz I suspect that's what people judge on, the top end, even if they're buying lowend or mid range.
And this is the point about mindshare. You have to get mindshare for the people that don't do much/any research to buy your product. All those games with the Nvidia logo on the box back in the day, that helped get mindshare. Having the best cards helps get mindshare. Word of mouth helps get mindshare.
Remember that the people on this forum and probably many forums around the world are fairly insignificant in terms of sales. We're not the ones AMD need to convince.

So you think AMD just need to get their logo out more,

That is a refreshing change from AMD need to be cheaper.

Last edited:
Graphics Cards Retail Sales Week 14 2023 (mf)
AMD: 1720 units, 58.4%, ASP: 579
Nvidia: 1195, 40.58%, ASP: 833
Intel: 30, 1.02%, ASP: 183

AMD revenue: 996374, 49.87%
NVIDIA: 996020, 49.85%
Intel: 5501, 0.28%

If this holds anything like true in global sales results i'll take all i have said back.

After correcting the $900 BS 7900XT i'd ###### love to see AMD sell 2X as many of those as Nvidia do the 4070.

Problems is it's a German retailer and if you've check their history you'll see they always sell more amd cpu and gpu than Intel and Nvidia, amd hardware is very popular in Germany for some reason - but it doesn't reflect the global situation at all

This comes from people started picking up on how well Ryzen 3000 was selling, the thing is tho Rainforest US also had Ryzen 3000 and 5000 completely locking out the top 12 best sellers, they still do, bar one Intel they are right now, and the 7800X3D has joined them.

Back
Top Bottom