Do dealerships not negotiate on used cars any more?

Soldato
I've been looking at some used BMWs and have found a lovely 330e for just over £22k. This is probably £1k more than I can spend (PCP), but when I asked about movement on price for this car, I got this response:

"Unfortunately, we do not have any movement in price for our cars. We do not price our used cars in the dealership, this is done at a head office level. They do check prices daily however and adjust them accordingly."

I know this could just be talk, but I don't see any reason for him to lie as this 4.5% drop in price would easily secure the car!

Maybe I'm just ignorant :)

The other option I have is a 318i, but they're not particularly comparable - the 330e looks awesome! I'd rather get a 320i if I can't get the 330e.

Soldato
OP
It's fairly rare these days. With autotrader and how easy it is to compare cars. Dealers are usually pricing correctly against the market and adjust regularly so it's not like it used to be. Last few cars i've had have had very little movement.

You're usually better off trying to get some servicing/warranty included as the cost to you is high, but cheap to the dealer.

Thanks. I guess a smart strategy might be to find some comparable cars on AutoTrader and see what their prices are. It does seem well priced tbh, just I can't quite afford it.

Regarding the servicing etc, that makes a lot of sense. Annoyingly, I don't put money away for servicing so it doesn't really impact my monthly spend! I guess I've just been paying for that sort of thing as and when it comes along.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the advice. Conversation was via email so I wasn’t paraphrasing, that’s exactly what he wrote.

The car is up for sale on Motorway tonight. Hopefully it’ll go well.

How do you deal with the potential gap in insurance?

Soldato
OP
Depends on how anal you are and how long it'll be. If it's just a few days I'd ignore. You're insured to drive it, doesn't mean it's your problem if something happens to it.

I thought that was exactly the problem - if something happens to it, you’re in the hook.

I don’t know how long the gap will be tbh. I’m hoping it’ll go late next week and I’ll be able to get the new car that weekend, so it may only be a couple of days I guess.

Soldato
OP
Good news is that my car sold on Motorway, pending them collecting it! So now I have actual options.

In reality, it's likely to be the 318i as there are 330es, but they seem to be very expensive to insure.

Soldato
OP
What year is the 330e, im contemplating buying mine back from the company once my new one arrives later this year. If insurance isnt crazy i can give the 330 to the mrs.

I think it’s 2020. Insurance didn’t come out that bad actually - £550 a year. I budgeted £450 for next year, so it’s not wildly out of my budget. And the pcp will be cheaper even with the increase in insurance.

Do you like the 330e?

Soldato
OP
I don't think the 318i is a particularly good choice. It has a 3 cylinder engine which really doesn't suit the 3 series. Works well in a Mini, but not a larger saloon.

Oh really? I read it’s the same as the 320i. Are they both 3 cylinder?

I think my Q2 35 TFSI is also 3 cylinder, pretty similar in every way really.

Which is the right one?

Mines a 70 plate. Ive done 93k in it so far, and it’s been fantastic. Only downside is the tiny boot. It gets charged regularly so economy is really good. Great to drive, despite the weight of battery it’s still fairly chuckable.

Hmmmmm. I need a bit of boot space. Would you mind measuring how big the opening is for me? Need to get a bass amp in there!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
I’ll measure it tomorrow for you. You can basically get 2 medium/large suitcases in and nothing above. Not a car for airport runs. The tourer is a better option.

That was a fantastic video. For once, I am delighted by his German thoroughness. He measured the boot and indeed, my amp will fit!

I think it was just under 1 m wide and about 0.4 m in height, which just about works for me.

Basically, I'm very much sold on the 330e! The electric bit is very exciting - I could probably drive to work and back for a whole week without using any petrol.

Soldato
OP
In Japan that is more premium :D

You soon get into the habit of plugging the car in when you get home btw. No need to try and stretch. I just use a 3 pin on a full EV; I'm 10k miles in now. Works great.

Japanese people are different. There's just something awesome about a BMW with leather seats.

I would definitely have no problem plugging the car in hah

Soldato
OP
Make sure you get on Octopus Go or w/e it is! 8.5p a kwh

Nice. I might be able to charge for a similar price at work without changing my tariff.

I'm a bit gutted about the lack of leather tbh. I know the car would still feel premium, but it's not the same. My Audi has half leather and that's lovely.

Basically, you don't get leather for under £20k!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You want an M Sport with these, the standard specification is better and will include leather.

Unfortunately, it's out of my price range. The two I'm looking at are either a 318i M Sport (leather) or a 330e Pro.

I'd love to pull away from complete reliability on petrol. I guess the thing to do is see one with cloth.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The Pre FL Msport is the one to go for, heated leather, electric boot, rear cam, nicer bumpers etc. If you like audio go for the HK option, its still not great but significantly better than the base setup. Msport in the 330e is a well setup car, ride really is excellent.

I'm going on what's available rather than exactly what I'd like!

Soldato
OP
Obviously depends what is available both market and options wise but I've very mixed feelings on leather - I've been through a bunch of different seats over the years and think I actually prefer the half-Alcantara half-leather ones in my Qashqai over any other combination, I've had/currently own vehicles with very nice full leather but days like today the half and half ones come into their own.

I'm inclined to agree with you - some leather is nice. It's likely I'll end up with full cloth. I'm hoping that as it's a BMW cloth, it'll be much nicer than you'd get in something else...

Soldato
OP
Obviously it's your choice, but is there any reason you're so fixed on a 3 series vs other options given you seem to be really limiting yourself to very few options?

Comes down to price. I'd like a BMW, auto, petrol or petrol hybrid, under £20k, under 60k miles, 2020 onwards (finance criteria), five doors. Doesn't leave that many options!

The finance criteria also really drives you to BMW, although you can go to some dealers. But there still aren't many cars fitting this spec that are compatible with Halifax PCP, which is 6.2%!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wait for something you actually want then. I spent 4-5 months looking for my 3 Series and it was worth waiting for the right one.

I would really like to wait. It depends when my car is collected, and if we can manage having one car in the mean time. I think work may have a spare fleet vehicle which isn't being used, so that might be an option for the short term.

Back
Top Bottom