Do FPS affect monitor response time @ 160hz and 60hz?

Associate
Using this review as an example:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/38gn950-b

In the response time section, it recommends the FAST setting at its max refresh rate, and NORMAL setting at 60hz.

The questions is, if I use FAST setting + max refresh rate (lets say 160hz), will I achieve the same rise & fall time / Total response time / overshoot error, when my FPS in gaming is 160fps and 60fps?

If that is the case, is that mean the FPS will not affect the rise & fall time / Total response time / overshoot error, it is only affected by where I plug the monitor to? Such as PC (160hz) vs console (60hz)?

Basically I am trying to use one overdrive setting for gaming, so I dont need to switich it to a different overdrive setting when I play another game.

Thanks guys!!

Associate
I don't think the pixel response time is tied to you FPS but more your hz settings but I could be wrong. Overdrive of fast is better suited for high refresh rates whilst normal is better for 60hz.
It all depends on what frame rates you are getting? Personally I would set it to fast with free sync/gsync on so that the monitor will be switching refresh rates so the hz setting would not really matter. Anything over 100fps I would set it to fast. If you are getting around 60-100 fps then set it to normal. I know it's a pain to switch but try and find a good medium for any overshoot you encounter. I think normal setting should be the best overall setting for both if you can;t be bothered to swicth.

Associate
OP
I don't think the pixel response time is tied to you FPS but more your hz settings but I could be wrong. Overdrive of fast is better suited for high refresh rates whilst normal is better for 60hz.
It all depends on what frame rates you are getting? Personally I would set it to fast with free sync/gsync on so that the monitor will be switching refresh rates so the hz setting would not really matter. Anything over 100fps I would set it to fast. If you are getting around 60-100 fps then set it to normal. I know it's a pain to switch but try and find a good medium for any overshoot you encounter. I think normal setting should be the best overall setting for both if you can;t be bothered to swicth.

Thanks for your reply.
I have actually messaged Rtings and they said it doesnt matter whether I am getting 160fps or 60fps, I should use FAST for my 160hz screen, providing VRR is off.
However, you and one of the monitor review guy told me I should change my overdrive depending on the FPS...
I am getting answers from both sides, I am getting more confused now...:(

Back
Top Bottom