• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do I need a CPU cooler?

Associate
I have just ordered my new PC and I didn't took any CPU cooler to the E6600 what do u guys think, is it necessary or I can do fine without it? I'm not going to overclock or anything...

Associate
OP
silversurfer said:
The retail edition comes with a basic Heatsink and fan. Did you order oem or retail? The supplied cooler is fine for stock speeds and maybe more

Well it says "BOX", retail or oem?

Associate
OP
tomanders91 said:
basicly what i mean is, is a E6600 at stock still good for gaming not overclocked.

Well it obviously is from ive just read. But how much fps difference would you get, between a 2.4ghz e6600, to a 2.8-3ghz e6600?

well i'd like to know that too, since i don't know how to overclock ;/

Associate
The stock is fine if you haven't overclocked. I was tempted to start overclocking on the standard fan and just see what the temps were doing, but then just chickened out and bought and AF 7 as they are so cheap. But even if you never use the fan in the box, you'll get a lot more for it when you come to sell if you have the retail box, fan, etc.

Soldato
Shaye87 said:
Cool thanks, everyone else agree?
Is the retail version cooler noisy?

bpartsbigears.jpg

Associate
Yes the retail cooler is noisy, i have the x6800 and at stock speeds it runs about 24C idle, and around 37C full load, the fan is at 4000rpm, ill wait till new year now to swap out that CPU HSF so my system isnt so dam loud.

Caporegime
Still to overclock my E6600 but so far Ive found it runs CS:S , DoD:S and BF2142 all maxed out on detail and AAx4 on my X1950 XT without any noticeable slowdown.

Associate
LOL sure dont put a HSF on it, then you can report to intel how long it takes to blow up, wonder how fast it would hit its thermal slowdown temp LOL :D

Actually i know someone whos comp was BSOD all the time, and when she put the new HSF on about 6 months before she didnt use thermalpaste and the CPU fused itself to the bottom of the HSF.....

Back
Top Bottom