• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do I need a CPU cooler?

Permabanned
Shaye87 said:
I have just ordered my new PC and I didn't took any CPU cooler to the E6600 what do u guys think, is it necessary or I can do fine without it? I'm not going to overclock or anything...
FRUSTRATED%20MAN%20HOLDING%20HEAD%207.jpg

Permabanned
silversurfer said:
Apparently the IHS stops it burning out just like the old days of cpus. I dont recommend trying that, though its nice to know just in case the hsf fell off by accident

if the hsf fell off it probably means its taken half the mobo with it, and its a big chunk of metal falling right onto ure gfx card LOL screw it down nicely LOL

Associate
FrostedNipple said:
if the hsf fell off it probably means its taken half the mobo with it, and its a big chunk of metal falling right onto ure gfx card LOL screw it down nicely LOL

if that happened i would scream and run around the house :D

Soldato
arfur said:
on my HP server course we saw a P4 pop its lid off because we didnt install a HSF, if you do try it wear goggle :D

Interesting, perhaps the bios on the motherboard wasnt following intels spec.

P4's are supposed to thermal throttle in the even of catastrophic heatsink failer. There's a nice video on Toms hardware where they remove the heatsink from a P4, while running Quake (Or doom, cant remember). PC slows down but keeps running. The moment they drop the heatsink back onto the chip its business as normal, as the cpu clocks back to full speed.

Furthermore, there's a second level of protection which is supposed to kick in at around 120 degrees which is supposed to put the cpu into sleep state as a last ditch attempt to protect the CPU.

P4's are supposed to be almost indestructable like that, although I've never tested it on my own chips. Im sure Core2's have the same protection systems as P4's.

Soldato
ChaosdaJoker said:
Actually i know someone whos comp was BSOD all the time, and when she put the new HSF on about 6 months before she didnt use thermalpaste and the CPU fused itself to the bottom of the HSF.....

This can happen even when thermal compounds are correctly applied. A friends P4 was seriously stuck to the heatsink, we tried everything, but it was no go. Finally as a last ditch effort we put the cpu and heatsink in the oven and let it cook at 150 degrees for about 30 mins. When it was hot a gentle tap with a flat bladed screwdriver and the processor dropped right off.

Re-installed it all in the computer with fresh thermal compound and it was better than ever :) No problems with crashing or anything.

Soldato
DirtyJester said:
Still to overclock my E6600 but so far Ive found it runs CS:S , DoD:S and BF2142 all maxed out on detail and AAx4 on my X1950 XT without any noticeable slowdown.

To be fair, they aren't exactly cpu intensive games... my amd 3000+ plays them at the same settings with a 7600gt at around 40-56-80 fps (min-avg-max). What you want is some heavy RTS game with loads of units going off doing different things.

Soldato
The battlefield engine can use the cpu if you use AI players. I think I heard of people using it like a benchmark trying to get the computer running dozens of ai players.

Just normal multiplay can have quite high cpu time if you have lots of objects and vehicles on the screen at the same time, their physics has to be mapped after all I guess.

Most games wont feature 64 players on the screen at the same time, all in vehicles so your right its usually all about the gfx.

Something like age of empires pushes conroe and even uses multicore. Anyone know when HL engine is due to use multi core?

Permabanned
silversurfer said:
I had a heatsink fall off a machine I had about 6 years ago. It was fine after I stuck it back on, cyrix k6-ii I think it was.

The fan stopped working later so I took a table fan from the kitchen and stuck into the side of the case. Proper ghetto!

i think a fan companny such as zalman etc, should team up with case companys and develop side fnas --- so basically instead of a panel one big massive turbofan -- that means instead of 3 or 4 fins its has say 10-20 smaller ones all inside a tight case, which makes it closer to a turbine :D make it silent and sell it as cheap as possible we will be happy they will be rich

Back
Top Bottom