Do I need a new cassette?

Associate
Just got a second hand road bike really cheap (£50) from one of my mates who upgraded. I used my chain checker and the chain was very very stretched / worn.
Got a replacement chain and fitted it no problem. Went out on the bike and it feels like the chain is jumping / skipping. If the chain was that badly stretched (daylight visable between cassette and chain) does it sound like its jumping the teeth on the cassette? I have indexed the gears again just incase but it's not that?

Cheers.

Soldato
Did your mate warn you of any problems with the gears or chain? I'd be cheesed off if any of my mates sold me something without letting me know about any faults that might be expensive to fix.

But I suppose if it's a decent brand bike that's been looked after fairly well, then you might have a bargain.

Associate
OP
Did your mate warn you of any problems with the gears or chain? I'd be cheesed off if any of my mates sold me something without letting me know about any faults that might be expensive to fix.

But I suppose if it's a decent brand bike that's been looked after fairly well, then you might have a bargain.

No, he didn't. In fairness the ride seemed fine before I decided to replace the chain. It's only a Carrera Virtuoso but at £50, if I have to put £100 into it I still wont loose any money reselling.

Soldato
I'm not an expert, but your second picture showing the chainring shows the chain not on properly - possible because the teeth are worn as they look pointy and sharp, not nice and flat like the gears on your cassette.

Soldato
I'd say cassette for sure at that level of stretch.

Does it slip whilst staying in the gear or drop off the front rings?

Stick a cassette on it and test the front rings. If the big one is worn it will slip off completely and if the small one is worn you'll get chain suck where the chain is pulled up with the ring into the chainstay.

Soldato
The cassette doesn't look that warn to me.
The big chain ring doesa but but but as noted the chain isn't sat on the chain ring properly either.
When you fitted the new chain did you shorten it to length or just put it on? It's possible the chain is too long and that could cause skipping too.

Associate
OP
I measured the old chain with the new one, measured twice and cut once lol definitely same number of links and like I said, the chain wasnt slipping on the old one. Which makes me think it's a cassette issue as they've both worn together.

The chain doesn't slip off any of the gears, front or back. It jumps a link or 2 under load.

Caporegime
Just got a second hand road bike really cheap (£50) from one of my mates who upgraded. I used my chain checker and the chain was very very stretched / worn.
Got a replacement chain and fitted it no problem. Went out on the bike and it feels like the chain is jumping / skipping. If the chain was that badly stretched (daylight visable between cassette and chain) does it sound like its jumping the teeth on the cassette? I have indexed the gears again just incase but it's not that?

Cheers.

if the chain has been overly stretched and worn it will have damaged the cassette for sure.

however a jumping and skipping chain could be not properly indexed or the limits need adjusted then indexed.

i would take it to a bike mechanic and see what he says if you don't know what you are doing. or get on youtube and do your own research.

i've only had a bike like 2 weeks now and i've replaced a casette (upgrade) and also fully indexed my gears again.

Associate
OP
Purchased a new cassette and that has fixed the skipping problem. Haven't touched the gears as they still index fine with the like for like cassette.

Obviously a very worn chain has also worn the cassett causing the new chain to jump teeth on the old worn cassette.

F0RDIE.

Back
Top Bottom