do I need earc?

Soldato
Dvd, bd, and android box are connected to LG c9 via hdmi.

Then I'm using optical out from TV to processor.

If I replace the processor with a modern one, replacing the optical cable with hdmi, using the arc out on the TV (so TV outputs all sound) to the new processor, will I need earc to get lossless sound sent to it?

As I've seen a marantz av8803, it's a couple of gens old, but it is much newer than my DD/DTS non hdmi av processor.

Soldato
OP
Yeah thought so, just that sources are near TV, so will have to move them near av amp.

Guess 8803 won't pass 4k either so will need to use two hdmi cables video out to TV then second hdmi to 8803.

Unless just keep Blu-ray near 8803, and dvd and android box near TV using optical out as regular DD/DTS.

Man of Honour
Why are you making life complicated?

Just get a processor or an AV receiver with 7.1 analogue pre-out that has (a) standby pass-thru and (b) passes 4K. Connect all the sources to it first, then one cable to the TV.

Soldato
OP
I guess source to TV then amp for dvd and android box, then bd to TV for hdmi video, then longer hdmi cable to amp on second hdmi for audio? That means get away with non e-arc amp but get lossless still.

Just that a e-arc amp with 4k pass through is expensive and one with hdmi 2.1 spec isn't out yet anyway if I want 4k at 120hz

Soldato
I guess source to TV then amp for dvd and android box, then bd to TV for hdmi video, then longer hdmi cable to amp on second hdmi for audio? That means get away with non e-arc amp but get lossless still.

Just that a e-arc amp with 4k pass through is expensive and one with hdmi 2.1 spec isn't out yet anyway if I want 4k at 120hz

Yeah you need eARC at the TV and receiver if you want to get the best audio when connecting sources into TV.

I plan to do this when I get a LG CX, but until I get a soundbar/reciever with eARC I will be passing sources through the receiver first, or as you say the other alternative is to split the video/audio on your bd player

Back
Top Bottom