Do I need help?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Enjoy! Brilliant little things.
Been eying up a few JCW Cabs to move on in the summer, but prices over here are crazy. £3k won't even get you a rough pre-facelift R53 :(

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP

Wow, you're in Guernsey right? How easy is it to get one shipped across and would there be import tax?

Man of Honour
Enjoy! Brilliant little things.
Been eying up a few JCW Cabs to move on in the summer, but prices over here are crazy. £3k won't even get you a rough pre-facelift R53 :(

Presumably because the R53 JCW Cab is ultra rare and not as ubiquitous as it is with the current model. You'll have more luck with a regular Cooper S cab and tbh it's hardly night and day in terms of the difference.

mjt

mjt

Soldato

Wow, you're in Guernsey right? How easy is it to get one shipped across and would there be import tax?
Close enough; Belgium :D
Presumably because the R53 JCW Cab is ultra rare and not as ubiquitous as it is with the current model. You'll have more luck with a regular Cooper S cab and tbh it's hardly night and day in terms of the difference.
True, but always wanted a JCW. Remember driving one when I had I my Z3 and wasn’t blown away by its outright speed. However, also drove an R57 and that was a hoot so you’re probably right.
Even so, 160k+ milers are at least €5-6k private in Germany and bloody COVID means I can’t leave the country to go and pick one up. Much more likely to turn a profit if it’s a JCW as well.

Could just get a locally-sourced R53 but I want the convertible coz it’s just a bit of fun.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Honestly when you're sniffing for profit I swear the weather changes :D
Haha I'm lost with this one!

Bought my first ever 3d printed thing, a phone holder lol - as I have a note plus, my usual windscreen mount meant half of my view was blocked haha and there is no other real place to put the phone. This one was designed to go over the hazard button and face the driver without intruding on the view (Will snap pics of it in place later)

https://www.roadiedesigns.co.uk/product-page/mini-r53-magnetic-phone-holder

It's absolutely perfect! And paired with a BT FM transmitter cigarette dongle thingy-majig it has made the car complete :)

Car needs better tyres asap, I'm wondering if I need to get wider wheels, or deeper profile, or both...

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Hahaha :D no comment!

Here's some pics of the phone mount:
SmVrscU.jpg
TrhEbZS.jpg

Oh and the BT FM lighter dongle thingy:

wwDmuVD.jpg

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
It's way better than the one I used to have in my e46 back in the day - does my Bluetooth calls and everything effortlessly :)

Didn't want to do anything too intrusive with this car just so it stays as stock as possible, but already had to remove this weird cd holder as it was blocking the cigarette port.

4blsVxvl.jpg

Maybe in the future I might change my mind and add an aux in, but this thing is good enough for now :)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Remember that FM Transmitters are very much area dependent. They work very well up where i live in Oxfordshire with few FM stations and big gaps in the frequency range available, but drive down to London (which i do an awful lot) and you don't stand a chance with them.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Ah yeh, I can imagine. It's fine here in the Midlands, don't really get any interference except in the mcdonalds drive thru :D

So this understeer malarkey... this is the first fwd car I've owned and I'm having to re-learn when to turn and when to power out etc. Fun :) but slow progress.

Also, this car appears to want to kill me in a different way - by having the ASC cut power when I'm pulling out of junctions and **** :eek: I'm having to leave it off for now as it is quite dangerous at times!!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
So the mini has been at JonSpeed the past couple months having some TLC (service, brakes, an electrical gremlin, and also got them to do the supercharger too as it has hit ~74k). Jumping back in the R53 after solely being in the Grand Voyager for so long has doubled my love for the little fella!! And also somehow convinced me to ditch stock and start making it my own So, I've got some plans...

Now I'm not gonna track it out, but more "trick it out"

Gains:
Pulley Reduction (prob 19%)
Upgraded Intercooler (gonna stick with top mount as want to keep my A/C unit)
Upgraded Intake/Induction
[additional little bits like ignition packs etc. as required]
Remap

Eye-Pleasies:
JR12 Alloys (shiny Gunmetal) - changed my mind, going to stick to oem mini wheels. There's a lot of choice there (17x7 +48) still choosing...
OEM Mini Gen 1 Recaro Seats front, and bottom of bench only at rear (delete rear backrests) Retrimmed in a darker leather with additional light stitching
Car carpets retrimmed and exposed areas (from deletes) covered, darker with light stitching
Chrono cluster housing and grey interior trim etc. wrapped into a gunmetal chrome
White rear Cage with C Pillar Brace
Replace front license plate to a side motorbike plate
Exterior chrome delete
Swap in tinted LED rear lights
And then I'm not 100% on the exterior decals/colour etc. but will try to stick with the Darker grey/gunmetal with light highlights theme??

Twisties:
...at the moment, nothing except upgraded brakes (Lohen have a nice mid set) as its handling is what I love already but we will see...

Currently waiting on a quote for the engine bay work.
Already purchased a set of OEM Recaro Heated Seats with Airbags.
Going to try and get the alloys quickly too as I need to put new rubber on anyway.

This is going to be a long process, I mean just look how long it took me to buy the car after creating this thread but will keep my updates in this thread

All thoughts welcome

Edit - wheels to oem 17x7, orange to white/light

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Just picked these up :)
OYyrfyh.jpeg

EPrQCHI.jpeg

Edit: my brains thinking I should rougue(??) the white leather, and pin strip the outside a la recaro/lounge seat cross...

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Just grabbed a dusty set of BBS RS844 (from prefaclift R53 - 2002) from Swansea for £125! Gonna look killer after a refurb :)

kGTKqBe.jpeg

Soldato
I had an R53 Mini a few years ago that I used for track work - it was such a lovely car to drive and own. A few things:

- Get at least a 17% pulley, especially if you're getting an uprated intercooler - it can absolutely take it. I did a 17% pulley to be safe as I had it on track, and mine ran lap after lap (15-20 laps in at a time?) in full attack mode. If you were doing road driving only, I'd even go for 15%.
- Airtec intercoolers are great and good value.
- Replace the engine mount if you haven't done already as it'll almost certainly have blown. There will be residue underneath the mount on the left hand side and when you take the bolt out of the bottom of the mount the rest of it will pour out. They only seem to last about 30-35k miles.
- Get some bracing if you want some extra stiffness (although probably not if you're commuting in it?). The R52 had extra bracing in the engine bay and underneath which you can bolt on to the R53 and doesn't cost much at all.
- For the intake, I made a copy of the JCW intake system. Think it cost me about £50 all in - there should be DIY's online but it's the best balance of airflow and avoiding heatsoak
- Upgrade the front brakes to R56 calipers and discs - they're literally a bolt on mod. I got the calipers from brakes international and they were refurbs of the original factory TRW calipers from the R56 for about £50 each. Think you just needed to source the caliper carriers (a quick Google suggests Autodoc do them for £26 a side) and some different brake lines too and the rest just bolted on. Great little mod.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I had an R53 Mini a few years ago that I used for track work - it was such a lovely car to drive and own. A few things:

- Get at least a 17% pulley, especially if you're getting an uprated intercooler - it can absolutely take it. I did a 17% pulley to be safe as I had it on track, and mine ran lap after lap (15-20 laps in at a time?) in full attack mode. If you were doing road driving only, I'd even go for 15%.
- Airtec intercoolers are great and good value.
- Replace the engine mount if you haven't done already as it'll almost certainly have blown. There will be residue underneath the mount on the left hand side and when you take the bolt out of the bottom of the mount the rest of it will pour out. They only seem to last about 30-35k miles.
- Get some bracing if you want some extra stiffness (although probably not if you're commuting in it?). The R52 had extra bracing in the engine bay and underneath which you can bolt on to the R53 and doesn't cost much at all.
- For the intake, I made a copy of the JCW intake system. Think it cost me about £50 all in - there should be DIY's online but it's the best balance of airflow and avoiding heatsoak
- Upgrade the front brakes to R56 calipers and discs - they're literally a bolt on mod. I got the calipers from brakes international and they were refurbs of the original factory TRW calipers from the R56 for about £50 each. Think you just needed to source the caliper carriers (a quick Google suggests Autodoc do them for £26 a side) and some different brake lines too and the rest just bolted on. Great little mod.

Awesome, thanks man :)

- Yeh I'm currently swayed towards a 19% reduction, although there is a 17% lightweight pulley available which is tempting - potentially just change the crank by 2% to get to 19%? (plus larger injectors and colder plugs)

- The AirTec intercooler have had great reviews, but I'm keeping my eye out for a GRS Intercooler as they're quite a bit lighter (with a bonus diverter).

- Engine mount was the first thing I took it in for :)

- There are a few JCW boxes scattered around facebook and eBay which I may just try to get on the sly. Didn't think of DIY though!

- I was actually looking at the R56 conversion kits yday too. Woke up to a "counter offer" message and an "already sold" message less than an hour later. Complete set, 2nd hand offerred to me at £120. There is also a midi brake kit on the Lohen website which looks appealing.

- Bracing I think I'll avoid fo rnow, unless it becomes a pure track toy.

Just getting quotes on a refurb of these BBS RS844/R90 wheels. I was thinking diamond cut lip and then match the inset to the car (Royal Grey) but matt finish... thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom