Do I need to be on the electoral role to get a credit card?

Soldato
I'd like to apply for a 0% credit card so I can buy a new tv and pay it off over a few months rather than all at once.

Problem is, I've just moved into a new house and I have not applied to have myself put on the electoral role yet, could this make a difference to an application?

I'd probably be best off calling the bank, but thought I'd see if anyone on here has an idea first.

Man of Honour
It certainly will make a difference unless you already have an excellent credit score. Being on the electoral register can significantly enhance your credit score and can usually make the difference between getting accepted and not, especially if you have little or no credit history already.

Ace Modder said:
firstly it makes it more difficult and secondly you're breaking the law!

How is he breaking the law?

Soldato
OP
I've had a credit card with hsbc for about 5 years and never had any problems and always paid the full amount each month, had a contract mobile etc.. so I should have a decent credit history.

As far as I'm aware, being turned down for a credit card can affect your credit history, hence the reason I don't want to apply, to find out I can't have one, which in turn could affect my credit history.

Man of Honour
It's a matter of risk then. A 0% credit card will require a higher credit score than one with a higher interest rate. Unless you know your credit score then you'll just have to take the risk. Getting rejected can affect your score negatively.

You might as well sign up to the electoral register.

Associate
They'll ask you your previous address (as they all seem to want the last 3-5 years of addresses), and will probably find you on the electoral register there (thinking logically)...

Soldato
Paying the balance off your credit card in full each month doesnt really increase your credit score either, your beahviour score goes up - by the banks like you to pay interest so if your paying more the less interest, the less the credit score goes up.

Soldato
jhmaeng said:
They'll ask you your previous address (as they all seem to want the last 3-5 years of addresses), and will probably find you on the electoral register there (thinking logically)...

This is it. I do Electronic IDs at work and if they mismatch at the current address and you've been living there less than 3 years and we have your previous address and it matches up there then you'll be fine.

Associate
Ace Modder said:
firstly it makes it more difficult and secondly you're breaking the law!

How is it breaking the law, you do not have to be on it, if you are not it just means that you cannot vote in elections.

Soldato
Adding yourself to the electoral role won't make much of a difference in this case since most credit referencing organisations will only update their electoral role data annually, and that's if they are seriously on the ball.

This is why most companies require three years worth of addresses, they only update every three years.

Back
Top Bottom