• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do I need to send my MOBO/GPU back? Or am i being stupid?

Associate
I have posted a thread or two before and discussed this but the actual thread sare kinda irrelevant now so made a new one, here it goes:

I am using a z87-HD3 with an r9 280x (or hope to be doing so :p)
I cannot get any display from my gpu and I've tried a lot of things, have I found the problem?

There is no settings in the BIOS for the display to run from the right PCI slot. Am I being stupid or...?
I thought pictures here would be easier: http://imgur.com/a/bfh4Q - would an r9 280x fit into either of the PSIe slots then? should my MOBO be showing the x16 slot or am I doing something stupid? This has been a 2-day long problem now, I just want to play games D:

Last edited:
Soldato
Normally a setting in the bios for auto, have you tried actually selecting the first PCI-E? Making sure the GPU is connected into the slot properly.
Edit: Those pictures show a 4x option, so it's defo for selecting the 16x lane (first slot is wired for 16x, second for 4x) have you tried moving the graphics card down into the second slot just so you know the GPU is working, as that lane appears to be working.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Normally it isn't a case of needing to fiddle in the BIOS and just plug and play but a good possibility you have a DOA card. Do you not have anywhere you can test it (beg a friend/family to pop it in)?

Caporegime
If the card doesn't work after a CMOS clear I would expect it to be faulty, as said if you put a card in the primary 16x slot it should boot automatically.

Have you checked the bios switch on the r9 280 isn't in some way stuck in a neutral position (if that's possible)?

Associate
OP
Normally a setting in the bios for auto, have you tried actually selecting the first PCI-E? Making sure the GPU is connected into the slot properly.
Edit: Those pictures show a 4x option, so it's defo for selecting the 16x lane (first slot is wired for 16x, second for 4x) have you tried moving the graphics card down into the second slot just so you know the GPU is working, as that lane appears to be working.

Second slot being the PCIEX4 one, right? It's strange because the mobo definitely recognizes the graphics card as on a monitoring programme it shows up.

Associate
OP
If the card doesn't work after a CMOS clear I would expect it to be faulty, as said if you put a card in the primary 16x slot it should boot automatically.

Have you checked the bios switch on the r9 280 isn't in some way stuck in a neutral position (if that's possible)?

I'll try this, then take it out/put it back in (even though im 100% sure its in properly) - if that doesn't work I'll try the other slot. not looking forward to having to send this back

Associate
Does the pc boot and you can use the onboard graphics whilst the graphic card is in?
If so does it show that the graphic card is installed in device manager?
Also what power supply you got?

Associate
OP
Does the pc boot and you can use the onboard graphics whilst the graphic card is in?
If so does it show that the graphic card is installed in device manager?
Also what power supply you got?

yeah it shows in device manager, and a 550w 80+ gold psu (forgot the brand name, it was on sale here last week). MSI say a 500w + psu is good so that shouldn't be related

Soldato
Second slot being the PCIEX4 one, right? It's strange because the mobo definitely recognizes the graphics card as on a monitoring programme it shows up.

Yeah the second 16x slot. You could just have a dud lane, its not powering the card properly or something, if it works in the second slot (boots into windows) at least you know the GPU is fine :)

Associate
OP
Yeah the second 16x slot. You could just have a dud lane, its not powering the card properly or something, if it works in the second slot (boots into windows) at least you know the GPU is fine :)

Eh I'd rather have it be the gpu to be honest! less effort than removing the motherboard haha. will try this now. by the second 16x slot you mean the x4 slot right? there isn't a second x16 slot I didn't think?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ok this is kind of interesting... on my devices when I click my gpu it says 'Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)' does this mean the gpu/mobo is fine? shall I try a system restore and redownload all drivers? EDIT: only asking because I'll do the internal pc stuff tomorrow because i'll have to move it to another room for a flat non-carpet surfact ect and its getting lateish hehe

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi,

May be obvious but, you have got your monitor plugged into the gfx card and not the vga/dvi on the MOBO on the back of your case right?

From your pics -

That menu I'd have thought should show x16.

Cant see what that menu is, Ends in 'O'

Have you tried turning off (shouldn't have to) cpu/apu gfx?

Hope you sort this soon. V frustrating.

Best

Associate
OP
Hi,

May be obvious but, you have got your monitor plugged into the gfx card and not the vga/dvi on the MOBO on the back of your case right?

From your pics -

That menu I'd have thought should show x16.

Cant see what that menu is, Ends in 'O'

Have you tried turning off (shouldn't have to) cpu/apu gfx?

Hope you sort this soon. V frustrating.

Best

I have HDMI plugged into mobo atm because it doesn't work with the gpu (tried hdmi and monitor cables for gpu though) but yeah, I turned off intergrated graphics but that left me with no display at all so I had to reset the CMOS. not sure what 'o' bit you're referring to!

Associate
OP
Okay, after taking the card out/putting it back in, reinstalling drivers etc... it worked! I managed to have a session of playing crysis and was very happy. BUT, after a restart - it reverted to the same problem again which I found so weird. Nothing had changed but i'm back to using hdmi through the mobo instead for some reason... any tips? I've checked in the bios and the pci slot is set to have priority etc so I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom