Do I, or Dont I get a Conroe system??

Soldato
I have a [email protected] and 1gb of Corsair xms memory......... Im going to get a x1900xt (overclock it to the xt-x) card next week and then i was going to upgrade my mem to 2gb. bBut do I leave the mem and save up for a conroe 1.86GHz system would cost me just over £400 then overclock it to 3ghz

sysal0.jpg

But this is my prob.. the right thing todo is change to conroe setup and dont upgrade the mem to 2gb for my fx55. But I paid about £700 for my cpu just under 2yrs ago and it just seems wicked and a waste to change the cpu yet

I just dont know guys,,, all games including crysis will run with a fx55 easy with a 1900xt-x and 2gb of mem for quite a few months yet... Do I need a conroe setup

The other thing is upgrading the mem will cost over £150 for something I will just be using for about 12months,,Its good money after bad isnt it??? I guess i could get the mem I want 2nd hand?

Last edited:
Associate
You got two options here

Sell your current setup to get max price and go to conroe

or

Wait until u got enough cash then upgrade

All depends how much your system is going to devalue while u wait vs drop in conroe prices until u buy.

Associate
It's always a tricky question.....

I have a not-yet-a-year old XP 3700+ SanDiego, an A8n-SLi Premium and 2GB of PC4000 GSkill. Not yet obsolete, but I've just bought the new bundle OcUK have in their "This Week Only" section.

An E6600 Core 2 Duo, Asus P5W DH Deluxe and 2GB of Corsair XMS2-6400C4 DDR2 (BU-053-OK), along with an Actic Freezer 7 Pro.

With the cash I get for my old components, it's a fairly reasonable price to upgrade IMO.

The E6*00 family really does pi$$ all over AMD in every comparison I've read. And not by a small margin either.......

Soldato
OP
I think I will keep my fx55 for 12months or so, and get 2gb memory.. Accept the mem I wanted is "Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3500LL Pro TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2" costing £211, and I cant have rubbish mem cos atm my mem is clocked at 242 with timings on 2.5-3-3-8 1cmd...

what other cheaper memory can do 242mhz? Im not that bothered about the timings? Is "Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS3 (MY-039-CS)" any good running at 242 with decent timings?

Soldato
OP
Bug One said:
If it runs everything you want, I can't see any point in upgrading other than bragging rights.

There will always be something better in 12 months!

Totally and a fx55 will still run all the games I thow at it for a good few more months yet

Back
Top Bottom