Do memory modules really need heatsinks

Man of Honour
It's not so much the memory these days, or the DRAM voltage, or effect this has on the IC lol - more so the means (especially with OC socket rails) the CPU need to get there. A lot of mystery shrouded there, but CLT and CLK can scale quite high when pushing frequency. Generally speaking DDR4 IC's are pretty tough, I've not heard of any real solid evidence of degradation or failures.
Still early days for DDR4 and I suspect they've learnt the lessons of the past. In terms of what can kill memory though its voltage that generally tends to be the primary cause not heat.

Most memory ICs are either rated for 85 or 95C max long term operating temperature while you are unlikely to get much above 55C in normal use and around 70C with an overclock and extra voltage.

Soldato
After Crucial Ballistics DDR2 running burning hot (you know the stuff that was famous for randomly dying as well ) I've always preferred Ram with some heatsinks.

My current G-skills run pretty cool/slightly warm though

Man of Honour
They used the infamous D9GMH chips - later IIRC changed to D9GCT which were more voltage tolerant but not quite as good overclockers.

Back
Top Bottom