Do premium economy seats recline too much?

Soldato
Whilst doing some research for a forthcoming trip, I've noticed that the latest incarnations of premium economy in general, and BA World Traveller Plus in particular, have seats that recline a huge amount.

In one video I watched, when the seat in front was fully reclined, not only was the seat back "in your face" but made it almost impossible to actually get in or out of your own seat!
There was actually an argument that regular economy was superior in this regard as the seats didn't recline anywhere near as much.

Has anyone had similar issues or problems flying premium eco recently?

I really like WT+, it does recline a lot which makes it good for a night flight as you get quite a decent position to sleep in. Could imagine it being quite annoying on a day flight if you don't want to sleep and the person in front reclines fully back. The wider seat and extra leg room makes it a far superior product to normal economy though.

Could always do WT on the day flight and WT+ on the night flight?

WT+ is a significant upgrade though, extra legroom, recline, seat width, less noise in the cabin, better service, more avios.

Could imagine it being quite annoying on a day flight if you don't want to sleep and the person in front reclines fully back.

This is my issue. Sure, on a night flight pretty much everyone will recline anyway but, on a day flight, I very rarely want to recline my seat but the person in front will always push theirs right back and it feels like my personal space is being invaded.

Aside from this issue, WT+ does look decent tbh with good seat width and leg room and a reasonable bump over basic cattle class.

I've splurged on Club World anyway so not an issue, just something I noticed.

Let us know how it goes, I've not flown BA CW for a while so be interested to see how you find it as I'm planning a trip over to the West Coast shortly and doing that in CW.

This trip isn't until next year so you'll undoubtedly travel before I do.

I'm doing the East Coast and all the planes on that route have been upgraded to the new Club World Suites, whilst I believe they're still completing the upgrades to some of the Airbuses used on the West Coast route so probably best to check.

New club suite is very good, the seat has good space and storage and is much more private than the old club world seat, but with that it does feel a bit more claustrophobic. Definitely worth the extra, always fly club minimum long haul and to end the journey either way without any awful neck or leg cramps is perfect.

New club suite is very good, the seat has good space and storage and is much more private than the old club world seat, but with that it does feel a bit more claustrophobic. Definitely worth the extra, always fly club minimum long haul and to end the journey either way without any awful neck or leg cramps is perfect.

Yeah I'm never doing long-haul economy ever again, I was just wondering whether I could get away with WTP but that idea was short-lived :)

Competition between the airlines is really pushing the business class game on these days. I think increasing numbers of "private" (i.e. non-business) travellers are opting to pay for business class and they're all competing for these passengers.

The latest business class products would have passed for First five years ago.

It's one of those things that once you've done it you never wish to go back.

Luckily had enough miles to go every year (bar 2020 and 21 for covid) long haul with BA. Does require some organisation, but got new York in Feb 22 booking about a month before first out business back.

Thought that would be our last experience of first but managed to move up from club to first seats last week when availability came up for Chicago next week out and back. Going to be making the most of the Concorde room.

I've never done first and don't fly often enough to acrue and use points/Avios frequent flyer benefits so just have to book stupidly early to get a decent price on business class.

One day, when I'm flying alone, I'll fork out for first just for the experience but I'm not doing it for two people! :)

Let us know how it goes, I've not flown BA CW for a while so be interested to see how you find it as I'm planning a trip over to the West Coast shortly and doing that in CW.

If it's the new seats it's pretty good, if the old ones i'ts not good at all

The CW lounges are the worst business class lounges out there

If it's the new seats it's pretty good, if the old ones i'ts not good at all

The CW lounges are the worst business class lounges out there
Wouldn't say they are the worst but at peak times when they are rammed they aren't great. Back when i was BA Gold it wasn't too bad as I'd get into the first lounge which was significantly better. I've been in plenty of other lounges that the food choice was cheese and crackers. Even the Star Alliance Gold/First lounge in what was T1 at LHR wasn't great. The only decent thing about the first lounge for Star Alliance was that there used to only be a few people in it so was great for peace and quiet. I'll maybe splurge some miles one day and try the concorde room.

Think the last lounge I was in was the Etihad lounge in AUH, that was decent enough and the Business Class on the A380 was probably the best I've been on.

I think you can get away with premium economy on east coast routes. It's only a short flight and most people don't put their seat all the way back on outbound journey.

I usually book virgin PE now and try and nab a cheap bid for upper class upgrade. Got it on my last 3 flights for less than £500 each way. Company money but still try to be respectful of it.

The virgin club house in jfk is really good. A la carte dining and table service everywhere.

Last edited:
I think you can get away with premium economy on east coast routes. It's only a short flight and most people don't put their seat all the way back on outbound journey.

I usually book virgin PE now and try and nab a cheap bid for upper class upgrade. Got it on my last 3 flights for less than £500 each way. Company money but still try to be respectful of it.

The virgin club house in jfk is really good. A la carte dining and table service everywhere.
Virgin Club Houses do tend to be excellent, the one at SFO is a really nice place to spend a few hours, almost like being in a lounge in a 5* Hotel.

Back
Top Bottom