Do radiators raise or lower room humidity?

Permabanned
Pretty sure that it lowers the humidity, In old times when I was small and we lived in Eastern Europe in one of those soviet flats, during winter the heating would be turned up to the max that we used to open windows while it was -30 outside, keep in mind size of those windows are nothing like the modern ones, they were at least 3-4 times bigger, a grown man could`ve easily jumped out with bending a little bit.

We also put wet cloths on radiators and that made the air in the home feel a lot nicer and humid...

That was before we changed those radiators so they could bet cut off, no idea why this was not thought from the beginning.

Soldato
Increase. I think.

Water molecules are attracted to the coldest points, ie a cold window, where they gather. They will also stay where they may lie, like a carpet. If a room is damp, they will stay where they are.

Warm air releases them into the air, therefore increasing the air humidity.

The humidity sensor in my lounge seems to agree with this, until the windows are opened, causing a breeze, therefore releasing the humid air into the outdoors.

wmb

wmb

Associate
Increase. I think.

Water molecules are attracted to the coldest points, ie a cold window, where they gather. They will also stay where they may lie, like a carpet. If a room is damp, they will stay where they are.

Warm air releases them into the air, therefore increasing the air humidity.

The humidity sensor in my lounge seems to agree with this, until the windows are opened, causing a breeze, therefore releasing the humid air into the outdoors.

Sigh. It was correctly answered on page one. Relative humidity will decrease. A radiator will just add sensible heat to the room, water content of the air will stay the same (unless there is an open and ever present source of water next to the radiator but let's not complicate things). As the temperature of the air increases with the same moisture content relative humidity decreases. Failry simple physical concepts are at play here.

Unless the OP has musical instruments much colder than the surrounding air (which could cause condensation on them) they will be much better off keeping them in a room with the radiator on, not off, if they are trying to keep them dry and away from moisture.

Back
Top Bottom