Do these exist?

Soldato
I'm presuming they do, although i've never seen one. Basically i'm after a sort of splitter for a network point. Two computers, one network point = internet on one PC. So can you purchase a sort of splitter adapter thingy mabobby to sort it? If so what should i search for on a hardware site?

Soldato
passive hub, but they are pants get a switch should do what you want (or maybe a router, depends on you config)

Man of Honour
Ripper^ said:
I'm presuming they do, although i've never seen one. Basically i'm after a sort of splitter for a network point. Two computers, one network point = internet on one PC. So can you purchase a sort of splitter adapter thingy mabobby to sort it? If so what should i search for on a hardware site?
While the response above are valid on a technical level there's a wee bit more to this than simply plugging in a switch/hub.

What sort of network access are we talking about here? Is the network point an ethernet port on the wall?

Who owns the network you're connecting to? I'm going to take a stab at this being a Uni halls network, in which case do they support having more than one machine per port?

Soldato
hybrid said:
Yes they exist.

They basically just utilise the other pairs in the cable which aren't being used.

Google it (network splitter)

but he would need access to both ends, whcih we assume he only has access to the wall socket

Associate
P2315.jpg

Associate
how about a linksys adsl2mue modem?
this has an ethernet port for one pc and a usb port for the other. was using 2 pc's for one wall socket for a good while and it was faultless. dunno if thats any help or not...?
good luck,
steve.

Back
Top Bottom