do virgin block vpn

Soldato
700kbps via vpn sounds like something is misbehaving somewhere along the line.

Had way more than that on my 250vm before I moved house.

Soldato
Unfortunately, if you say something about an ISP with no real evidence - even if it isn’t accurate - you will find others who are willing to agree with you. Others then find that and cite it as evidence, it’s the same way a rumour starts, but once it’s written, it must be true :D

Your VPN provider has some unusual UK end point providers from what i’ve seen (read 3 out of 4 are not used by other respected providers), but i’d start looking closer to home first.

Soldato
Unfortunately, if you say something about an ISP with no real evidence - even if it isn’t accurate - you will find others who are willing to agree with you. Others then find that and cite it as evidence, it’s the same way a rumour starts, but once it’s written, it must be true :D

Your VPN provider has some unusual UK end point providers from what i’ve seen (read 3 out of 4 are not used by other respected providers), but i’d start looking closer to home first.

The same is exactly true if you say something that you think might be accurate or have been convinced is accurate by the provider but isn’t true in the real World. I’m more than happy to show you screenshots of downloads of Ubuntu iso files (45 MiB/s without VPN and 1.3 MiB/s with).

I’m not sure if you have read my previous posts....I have had the same experience with three VPN providers..so this probably suggests this isn’t a VPN provider issue including respected ones like NordVPN/ExpressVPN/IpVanish.

Soldato
The same is exactly true if you say something that you think might be accurate or have been convinced is accurate by the provider but isn’t true in the real World. I’m more than happy to show you screenshots of downloads of Ubuntu iso files (45 MiB/s without VPN and 1.3 MiB/s with).

I’m not sure if you have read my previous posts....I have had the same experience with three VPN providers..so this probably suggests this isn’t a VPN provider issue including respected ones like NordVPN/ExpressVPN/IpVanish.

You appear to have fallen into a hole of your own making. You see three VPN providers being slow and blame Your ISP with absolutely no evidence at all other than ‘slow’. Others have posted that they don’t have the same issue with the same ISP and provided detailed proof. That leaves us with either VM have sworn some personal blood vendetta against you, or the issue isn’t with VM and is at your end as you’re the other obvious point of commonality. I know which sounds more likely, but without proof it’s a moot point.

Soldato
You appear to have fallen into a hole of your own making. You see three VPN providers being slow and blame Your ISP with absolutely no evidence at all other than ‘slow’. Others have posted that they don’t have the same issue with the same ISP and provided detailed proof. That leaves us with either VM have sworn some personal blood vendetta against you, or the issue isn’t with VM and is at your end as you’re the other obvious point of commonality. I know which sounds more likely, but without proof it’s a moot point.

How about you read the other thread then pass judgement on things of ‘my own making!’

Soldato
How about you read the other thread then pass judgement on things of ‘my own making!’

You mean the thread where people in it point out it’s an issue your end (just as we said in this one) and you eventually listened and discovered we were right all along? My opinion is still the same, the issue is likely still your end and you still offered zero diagnosis beyond ‘slow’ to back up your already discredited opinion. Still at least you now get near enough full line speed, so positive outcome overall :)

Associate
virgin media do throttle vpn's they can detect, unless you have a business account with them.

My avast vpn is throttled to about 20% and i get long 'resolving host' searches too.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
You must just be unlucky. I am happy to provide screenshots as Rainmaker has but using Nord to their US servers I consistently hit 350mbps. When it's busy it usually dips to around 200mbps. When that happens I just switch server.

Also, isn't avast VPN a free service? If so, I'd suspect it's so heavily oversubscribed you'd have no chance of getting decent speeds full stop.

Soldato
virgin media do throttle vpn's they can detect, unless you have a business account with them.

My avast vpn is throttled to about 20% and i get long 'resolving host' searches too.

I think you should amend your signature from 'Comments may not reflect my views in real life.' to 'Comments may not reflect reality.' It's 41.6% fewer characters, so should offset the (imaginary) throttling.

Even the op discovered that he was wrong and the issue was indeed at his end and nothing at all to do with the VPN providers or ISP he was so happy to blame without evidence other than ‘slow’.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you should amend your signature from 'Comments may not reflect my views in real life.' to 'Comments may not reflect reality.' It's 41.6% fewer characters, so should offset the (imaginary) throttling.

LOL. :D

Also Gabbatek, if you're hanging on 'resolving host' you'd probably do better to switch your DNS. You can amend it in your .ovpn for OpenVPN, in your wg.conf for WireGuard, directly in /etc/resolv.conf on *nix or else check any app you use.

Associate
I've been with Tunnelbear, Mullvad and currently with PIA. None of these give anywhere near line speeds on my previous Virgin connection although my site to site (L2TP IPSec and OpenVPN) ran at line speeds as long as the hardware could take it. I suspect bandwidth is managed on each VPN node so everyone's VPN does work but slowly. The shear bandwidth needed for thousands of customers connections on each node would mean crazy backhaul connections would be required for no management at all, try and prove it though :)

Back
Top Bottom