Do we have OEM or Retail Server 2008 installed on our servers?!

Soldato
Hi all just wondering if there is a quick way of finding out if we have the OEM or Retail versions of Windows Server 2008 installed on our servers?

I have no supporting documentation with the servers, or any of the installation media that came with them so i'm not sure.

They were purchased from HP though so I suspect they came with the OEM OS installed but would just like to be sure.

I've also had a quick look on the cases and cant see any windows authentication stickers on them saying Retail or OEM.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Associate
http://www.mydigitallife.info/diffe...icensing-full-or-upgrade-license-for-windows/

Based on reading some of that, if it comes pre-installed from a manufacturer(In your case, HP) then it will almost certainly be an OEM installation of the OS.

[edit] if it is an OEM HP install, you 'should' have been given HP's restoration CD's which contain a copy of the OS, but only in a format that can be used to restore the system back to a factory format state.

Soldato
OP
Yeh I gathered that but i'm not too sure if it did come with it preinstalled or not (pretty sure it did but would like to check).

I cant find any restore discs for it etc.

Soldato
OP
Yeh I gathered that but i'm not too sure if it did come with it preinstalled or not (pretty sure it did but would like to check).

I cant find any restore discs for it etc.

Soldato
OP
In the system properties(Start>Right Click 'Computer'>Properties) Is it branded HP anywhere in there with HP contact information?

Nope.

2hyl935.jpg

Associate
hmmmm that would suggest it is not an manufacturer OEM installation. But it doesn't mean it's not still an OEM installation if the server was purchased, then an OEM System Builder pack was purchased with it, and installed later.

You said the COA didn't say if it was HP OEM or Retail, but there is a COA on it ?

Soldato
Run jelly bean key extrator on it.

Example output from one of my servers ...

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
Product Part No.: X15-34660
Installed from 'OEM' media.

Soldato
OP
Oops sorry, I knew it wasnt the CD Key but wasnt sure if it was some sort of unique identifier for my product.

The Product ID is....

55041-098-5034295-76937
and on my other server
55041-339-0011084-76235

Soldato
OP
And Jelly Bean Key Finder reports that both my servers were installed from 'Volume' media.

I'd assume that means volume licensed? Not got a scooby do where they were purchased from or where the license information is!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom