Do we really need 1080p screens on Smartphones.

Soldato
I think 1080p is a standard for high end phone's. Now the main factor should be battery life to improve upon. Sharper the better but at this rate where will it stop. A 4k screen in 2 years......

Associate
I wish they did move onto speakers, I haven't heard one phone I'm happy with, fine if in a quite room. But crap in a semi noisy environment, same with tablets.
There realy does need to be a number game with speakers.

Too late I think. Remember seeing a new phone with front facing speakers now.

Soldato
Yes, it's damn good so long as it's actually used alongside density/resolution independence. Apple do this brilliantly and consistently throughout iOS on their retina models so everything looks far clearer and sharper, it's not so good on Android yet.

Soldato
until there's a proper scientific test (where the only variable is the screen res) that shows 1080p screen uses noticeably more juice than a 720p one in normal use then don't worry about it.

But you have to look at it holistically. If the latest and greatest screen is thicker than its lower resolution cousin, then what's likely to be sacrificed to keep the size of the phone down? The battery.

If I'm going to be squinting to see the difference I'd rather that space be put to better use. But then I would buy accordingly, I'm not saying others would be bothered.

Soldato
But you have to look at it holistically. If the latest and greatest screen is thicker than its lower resolution cousin, then what's likely to be sacrificed to keep the size of the phone down? The battery.

GS3 vs GS4.

720p to 1080p and 2100mah to 2600mah

GS4 is both thinner and less wide. Lighter too and same height.

Soldato
Yes!

Well, not really. But I won't complain as long as it doesn't kill battery in about five minutes of using it. But it looks good, such as the screen on the One, which looks amazingly good.

Caporegime
Battery life over ppi please. Especially as more pixels canssometimes increase power consumption.

Having said that I do like hi ppi in general

Last edited:
Soldato
Thing is that when Apple did it it wasn't marketing, it was a genuine improvement that made a huge difference (and pushed the rest of the market to do the same). Thankfully, hi-DPI is practically unavoidable in the smartphone market now.

As for 1080p on a 5" display, completely unnecessary. Sure, 441ppi does look minutely better than 306ppi, however the difference is virtually unnoticeable. Obviously, technology develops and that can only be a good thing, however the performance sacrifice is absolutely not worth it. As others have said, improvements in other areas such as battery life would be preferable if it were a choice between the two.

Man of Honour
I don't think I'd ever call such an improvement 'unnecessary' because we should always want technology to improve.

Soldato
^ lol good one! :D
I don't get it? Presuming you're referring to the Apple part, my post was in response to Psycho Sonny. My point was that marketing lingo aside (that "retina" crap still does my head in), it was a genuine improvement over the iPhone 4's predecessors' relatively poor displays (compared to the competition at the time), not just hyperbole. In hindsight my post should have said "it wasn't just marketing", but frankly I can't be bothered to edit posts on my phone. Worth noting that I wasn't implying that Apple are something special when it comes to this (talking about the "when Apple did it" part of my post), just that they were the first to release a 300+ ppi display in a phone, in the same way that HTC were the first to release a 400+ ppi display in a phone. It should read "when Apple did it", not "when Apple did it" :D

I don't think I'd ever call such an improvement 'unnecessary' because we should always want technology to improve.
True, of course I mean unnecessary in that it's not something we truly need over a 300+ ppi display (as I said in my previous post, technology developing can only be a good thing).

Yes I need 1080 :)
Want, not need.

Last edited:
Soldato
My galaxy note has an 800x1280 pentile screen and text isn't always great to read. In particular at night I like to read red text on a black background and the pentile cross hatching is visible and distracting.

In the same way we all like our phones just to be that little bit smoother, I think it's nice to have the screen just that little bit sharper. That's what 1080p gives

Soldato
Thing is that when Apple did it it wasn't marketing, it was a genuine improvement that made a huge difference (and pushed the rest of the market to do the same). Thankfully, hi-DPI is practically unavoidable in the smartphone market now.

As for 1080p on a 5" display, completely unnecessary. Sure, 441ppi does look minutely better than 306ppi, however the difference is virtually unnoticeable. Obviously, technology develops and that can only be a good thing, however the performance sacrifice is absolutely not worth it. As others have said, improvements in other areas such as battery life would be preferable if it were a choice between the two.

If you get a chance just place an iPhone next to one of these 1080p phones, the difference is amazing. Not just things being sharper but the overall experience is much like the difference from using an iPhone and iPad to do things like the web.

Also I'm sure there where devices with similar ppi to then iPhone 4 out before it, but it just wasn't a popular things, moreover the iphone before retina was truly horrid compared to android phones which where roughly 250ppi or so.

For me personally I think its needed, we also need to push tech, the battery life is still the same, the price is roughly the same why not. I'm sure no one would reject getting better things for the same price.

Soldato
I had a look at the Xperia Z next to my Nexus 4, and frankly, aside from being sharper when really looking closely, there wasn't a night and day difference. Compared to an iPhone, I'd say that the size difference was the biggest thing, but that applies when the comparison is between the iPhone and the last generation Android flagships.

The biggest thing that I'd like to see with displays is definitely colour accuracy, viewing angles and other performance improvements as opposed to higher PPI, but that is probably what we will see from now on.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I wish they did move onto speakers, I haven't heard one phone I'm happy with, fine if in a quite room. But crap in a semi noisy environment, same with tablets.
There realy does need to be a number game with speakers.

I still haven't heard anything better than my old Motorola E398 when it comes to mobile phone speakers and that was like 8 years ago :/

Back
Top Bottom